A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at email@example.com!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
• Numerous stability improvements
• Fixes issue preventing playback control after disconnecting from Chromecast device
• Fixes issue with playback hanging near the end of BBC podcasts. These episodes still end early due to an encoding issue on the publisher's end, but playback is no longer stuck as a result.
• Fixes issue that could allow feeds to refresh when not on WiFi despite having set Downcast to only refresh over WiFi
Ratings and Reviews
Great for organization & customization. Poor sound quality.
Downcast is the best for customizing and organizing your feeds. It's always easy to know when you have new episodes waiting. Power user features like deciding which episodes to stream and which to download, starting episode later in to skip ads, and especially the ability to save an episode's audio file to the cloud make this my current choice for podcasts. It can be a little buggy at times, but my only two complaints are difficult to read screens (small text makes quick glances while driving difficult) and poor sound quality, especially at high-speed.
I just spent several months using Overcast and fell in love with its sound quality and easy to read screens. Unfortunately that app's organization is horrible. For example, you have to delete an episode in order for it to be considered "played". Because I listen to & save episodes from several Podcasts, this made it impossible to tell when a new episode was available without looking at each and every podcast episode list. This annoyance alone is what finally forced me to give up on Overcast and return to Downcast.
I wish I could have Overcast's sound quality merged with Downcast's organization & customization tools. I would gladly pay top price for that.
Best feature set for power users, but....
I've been using this app on and off for 2~3 years. Usually interchanged with Overcast. Overcast's polish has always been much better than anyone's else's but its feature set is weaker than Downcast. For a while feature set (queue for download vs queue for stream, chromecast) and better management interface has won over overcast's polish. Now however, particularly with the batter drain issue; which they claim to have fixed but clearly haven't, is making this app unusable. I can't play podcasts for too long without power connected to the phone, and if I need to be away from an outlet I better not use this app and it better not be on in the background or eat my battery alive. I'm on an iPhone 6 with a new battery, not that that was the issue in the first place because you could feel how hot the phone was getting even though it was locked and playing downcast in the background. I'm switching to overcast because I can't have this keep happening. Fix the issue downcast, or I'm staying with overcast.
No Steers Toward Paid Podcasts
The thing I like best about Downcast is it does not steer me toward 'for pay' Podcasts. I tried the included app when I first bought my device several years ago. I have been using Downcat instead since then. I like the setting options that allow me to download different numbers of podcasts automatically so they are just waiting. Also the option to mark a podcast as 'listened to' is nice if I decide the subject doesn't entice. Suggestions to the developers would be: A)option to set up a playlist by individual podcast rather than the current option which only allows you to select all of the lined up podcasts of a particular source and B)a better search function. Sometimes I do a search for a particular podcast I know is available but the Downcast search comes up empty. I then have to copy and paste the exact URL. All in all it is a workhorse app for me. I use it all the time. I recommend it without hesitation.
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 41 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2018 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip $2.99
- Motivating Tip $5.99
- Inspiring Tip $11.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.