By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: email@example.com.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
What's New in Version 2.9.2
• Version numbering now matches our iOS app
• Dropped support for Mac OS 10.9
• Fixes UI hanging while resolving inaccessible resources
• Fixes VoiceOver issue in Import UI
• Fixes VoiceOver issue in playlist podcast list
Still struggling under El Capitan
I just updated to this version, and I am still finding Downcast having a difficult time on El Capitan. I can launch it and play one podcast, but I cannot then listen to another. The application hangs, and I have to ultimately shut down my computer. I really like Downcast for being able to sync via iCloud with my phone. But I can’t use it on my Mac until i see there is a resolution to this resource issue.
Podcast episodes wiped out… again.
Tip for the developer: If you can’t reliably sync over iCloud, at least provide the option for us to restore older iCloud data for when sync goes completely awry and totally wipes out months of subscription data with no recourse. This happening once was too often. Now it’s happened twice and I’m out. Nice program but if I can’t count on sync not totally burning me, what’s the point?
El Capitan Breaks it
Downcast was my go-to podcast player. Emphasis on the WAS there. While the mobile version still works flawlessly, the desktop is completely useless under the latest version of the Mac OS X. This is a shame, since it was a great app, and considering the $7.99 price tag, I expect more from the developers.
In short, I cannot recommend this app until a fix is delivered.