By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
Limited time introductory sale price!
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
If you encounter a bug or have a feature request please send an email to email@example.com.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
What's New in Version 1.0.12
• Default import destination can now be set for local media
• Fixes bug preventing import of OPML files
• Script blocks are now stripped from episode details
• Fixes crash causing issue related to corrupted playlists
• Fixes issue preventing new episode action from being applied when manually refreshing podcasts set to not refresh automatically
• Fixes accessibility issue with podcast table rows where the wrong podcast title was being announced after overriding the title.
Audio Quality at 1.25+ Playback Speed
I’ve always listed to my podcasts using VLC media player at faster playback speed. Downcast sounds perfect at normal playback speed, but at 1.25x or 1.5x playback speed, Downcast’s audio sounds tinny and distant compared with VLC. Would like to see higher-quality sound when playing back beyond normal speed.
The app’s interface is excellent. The only thing not immediately intuitive is how to mark episodes “unplayed” after the initial installation since only the lastest 1 episode is considered unplayed after installation. I figured it out after a few minutes.
The app crashes every time I open it.
I’ve had high hopes and a lot of patience for this app. It solves a problem that no current Mac app solves. Streaming podcasts. But I’ve never had an app that I can crash so easily. Unforuntately the crashes are getting more common, not less. I just can’t recommend this app.