By Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Downcast, the popular iOS podcast app is now available for OS X! Download, play and sync** your favorite podcasts with an intuitive interface built specifically for podcasts.
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically (including resuming downloads)
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-update podcast feeds based on schedule
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention (globally and per-podcast)
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected feeds
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast subscription names
• Sync podcast subscriptions, playlists, settings and episode information with other Macs and iOS devices** via iCloud
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x, 2.75x and 3x speed playback*
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
For support, please email: email@example.com.
* See the following Help article for an explanation of play speeds: http://support.downcastapp.com/customer/portal/articles/476114-playback-speeds
** Downcast for iOS is required for syncing to iOS devices
What's New in Version 2.9.20
• Fixes another issue that could prevent initialization of iCloud options under certain conditions
• No longer ignoring future dated episodes, as long as they have a valid enclosure.
• Performance improvement during playback
You have been warned...
UPDATED REVIEW: Started using the iOS app for a few months…everything went great. Sync’d between iPhone, iPad, etc. All good. Then, in a moment of poor judgment, I downloaded the macOS desktop app and tried to use it again…and everything disappeared…podcasts, everything. Gone. The iCloud syncing is horrible between iOS and macOS. If you use the iOS app…DO NOT buy, download or use the macOS desktop app…all the curated podcasts, playlists, and settings you worked hard to set up over months on your mobile devices…will vanish…in 15 seconds. Gone. You have been warned.
ORIGINAL REVIEW: Only buy/use Downcast on a single or multiple iOS devices…if you add the OS X app to the mix, you will cause yourself a LOT of pain & suffering when it comes to sync’ing your podcasts, playlists, etc between your devices and the desktop. I love Downcast because of its power (it runs horribly slow on my old iPhone 4S, but that’s my fault, not the app’s). But, I have finally given up on using the desktop app. Every week or two, the desktop app will drop 5-6 of my 35 podcasts…just simply delete them…and then I have to spend an hour or two adding the podcasts & assigning them to playlists…to every desktop Downcast app I have…and then re-sync to all my iPhone/iPads. Think I’m on the 4th time doing this since last month (January 2016)…so, as much as I hate to say it, I’ve given up on Downcast, and moved back to Apple’s Podcast app. Nowhere near as powerful…but, at least it doesn’t trash podcasts & playlists when it syncs between desktop & mobile, and create hours of work for me to fix it. Unfortunate…but I’ve thrown in the towel with Downcast.