Files (formerly known as Downloads Lite) features a Web browser that lets you save documents to your iPhone or iPod touch so that you can work with them offline. It has a built-in file manager, with robust viewer for all iOS supported document types, powerful photo browser, advanced PDF reader, full Dropbox support, and more.
NOTE: This app does not support downloading of audio or video content.
√ Full portrait & landscape mode support
√ Passcode lock
√ Web browser
- Provides a user experience very similar to Mobile Safari
- Tabbed browsing
- Tap and hold on an image to download it
- Tap and hold to force download
- Save web pages with images for offline viewing
- Full screen mode
- Bookmark manager
- History support
- Address bar auto-completion
- HTTP basic authentication
- Form-based authentication
- Integrated Google or Yahoo! search
- Ability to spoof browser's User-Agent string to display web pages like Firefox
- Unified smart search field. Type a URL or search term in the unified smart search field, the browser automatically suggests the closest match to what you’re looking for.
√ Download manager
- Fast downloading speed
- Supports resuming of interrupted downloads reliably
- Live download progress bar and speed indicator
- Active downloads badge number
- Add arbitrary download link
- Always download with correct filename
√ File manager
- Full screen document viewer that supports .pdf, .doc, .xls, .ppt, .txt, .html and .rtf file formats
- Folders support
- Move, rename and delete files
- Search by file name
- Extract RAR archives
- Unzip ZIP files
- Remember document scroll position
- Attempt to open file of unrecognized format
- Import photos from camera roll
√ Dropbox integration
- Upload, download and manage files
- Sync what you want, keep files on your device
√ Advanced PDF viewer
- Huge PDF files work flawlessly
- Text search
- Tap PDF links to jump across the file
√ Photo viewer
- Tap or swipe to move between images in a folder
- Zoom in and out with pinch gesture
- Ability to save images to photo album
- Thumbnails view
√ File transfer
- Supports HTTP and FTP protocols
- Supports iTunes USB File Sharing
- Transfer files to and from computer in Wi-Fi network
- Send files as email attachments (size under 15MB)
√ Mobile Safari Integration
- Bookmarklet for Mobile Safari that lets you open any link in Files app
- Background downloading
√ Inter-app document interchange
- Other apps can save their files to Files app (e.g. Email app can save attachments to Files app)
√ Recovery Mode
- If the browser caught in an endless loop of pop-up alerts, go to the iOS built-in "Settings" app, find "Files", turn on "Recovery Mode", then force-quit and relaunch the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, but...
Long ago, I used the now ancient and defunct “Downloads” app by this developer, even before they changed the interface to match iOS 7’s Music app. I had no idea that it had been removed from the App Store. Seeing that it was incompatible with iOS 11 + iPhone 7 Plus (would always crash upon opening), I had to remove all my files from it and delete it. Then I stumbled across “Files,” from the same devs.
I like that Files has same interface and functionality as its predecessor, but some things could’ve changed with the new app.
- It could have a dark theme. Looking like Apple Music was cool for perhaps a year. We need a toggle for a dark mode that does not involve smart invert.
- Media playback in landscape orientation shouldn’t cover up 2/3 of the album art. Perhaps push it to the left and put media info/controls to the right?
- Although simplicity is nice, the web access page could maybe be a bit more graphical.
- The web access should have support for uploading multiple files at once without stuffing them in a zip folder. I find that having to scroll back down after each upload to be a pain, especially if the specific folder has a lot of files at its root.
Overall, a great app to store things in, since personally, I don’t trust Apple’s new Files app.
One of a kind
I love this app. I used its precursor, Downloads, and it was just as useful. I mainly use it, like the other reviewers, to download music to listen to offline as well as various other files. I have used this particular app every day for over two years and have had no problems.
The developer is very slow, however, at keeping the app updated and making it available for newer software updates and fixing bugs. Hopefully he reads these reviews and becomes interested in updating the app. I have had no issues, but with the new phones releasing this week I expect the app not to work with those phones.
Great App! Just one thing.
I love using this app to download music and listening to it offline. The only problem I have is that you have to pay for unlimited storage. I remember seeing that the full version was only $2.99 for a limited time but then changed back to $4.99. I was wondering when the price was going to go back to $2.99. Once again, thank you for the great app and hope that you read this.
- Hian Zin Jong
- 28.9 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Japanese
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Hian Zin Jong
- In-App Purchases
- Full Version Upgrade $4.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.