By Blackstone Audio, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
This free app gives your iPhone and iPod Touch instant access to every audiobook in your Downpour.com library. Download audio books directly over Wi-Fi or cellular network and begin listening as soon as the first track downloads. The Downpour app features an attractive interface with traditional audio controls in addition to variable speed narration, sleep timer, bookmarking, and variable track scrubbing.
• Instant access to your entire Downpour.com library
• Attractive, easy-to-use interface
• Download audio books directly over Wi-Fi and cellular networks for offline listening
• Multitasking for background downloads and background audio controls
• Resume playback functionality
• Remember important parts of the book with bookmarks
• Sleep timer: 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 minutes or when the current track ends
• Variable track scrubbing
Questions or comments? Visit www.downpour.com/kbase or get in touch on Twitter @downpour_com
What's New in Version 3.1
NEW IN 3.1
• updated for iOS 8
• optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
• improved cross-device syncing
• fixing an “Invalid License” error that occurs when listening to a rental while the device is locked with a passcode.
NEW IN 3.0
◥ AUDIOBOOK RENTALS - First car rentals, then movie rentals, now save a boatload of money with audiobook rentals.
• Get 30-60 days to complete an audiobook.
• Free up space on your device.
• Save up to 70% off retail pricing.
CROSS-DEVICE SYNCING - Now you can listen to your favorite books on all your devices and never lose your place.
BOOKMARK NOTES - Write a quick note about the bookmarks you create.
RATE & REVIEW - Rate and review your books right from the app.
SOCIAL - Use the new share button to post to Facebook, Twitter, or email.
▰ Bookmarks can be exported via email
▰ Airplay button
▰ New book info view
▰ Filter your library by series
▰ Improved downloads on slow networks
Great service, pour app
The downpour service is great, try it for audio books. The app has two major issues:
You download your books as a series of tracks, so far on the books multiple tracks downloaded incompletely and the app does not complete these despite showing a message asking if it should resume. You have to swipe delete that track and then download again, playback stops at these incomplete tracks.
The second issue is for some reason the app times out on your login after a few days of no use. This is pain because your content is already there and if you use a significant password you also likely use a password manager, if that's on a computer and not the device it's a hassle. This part makes no sense, I can see it logging out for a password change at the site but the content is local so what is the value of doing that. so far this has happened when I was away from the computers but wanted to listen to a audio book.
My only issue is that it would be nice to be able to stream the audio from my library, without actually downloading the tracks. (Perhaps it's possible, and I just haven't figured out how yet.) iPhone storage space is always at a premium, and storing audio files takes up a lot of real estate.
Super easy to use and exceptionally stable. As a long time consumer of audiobooks stretching back to the days of cassettes, being able to swiftly switch between books and not have to waste time queueing where I left off, the app makes me marvel at how far technology has come.
- Category: Books
- Updated: Oct 14, 2014
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 5.6 MB
- Languages: English, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Blackstone Audio, Inc
- © Blackstone Audio, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.