Dragonfly and Damselfly Field Guide and ID App
By Birds In The Hand, LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Dragonfly ID app is a comprehensive and easy-to-use resource to find and identify dragonflies and damselflies across the US and Canada. Geared towards both the avid dragonfly-watcher, and beginners, Dragonfly ID will help you find spots to look for dragonflies near you, help you identify the dragonflies and damselflies you see in the field, and learn more about the species you find.
Additionally, Dragonfly ID enables users to easily view and submit Odonata sightings from the field. This important citizen science project enhance our understanding of Odonata distributions and abundances.
DISCOVER SPECIES AROUND YOU
• View species lists for any location in the US or Canada based on sightings in the OdonataCentral database
• Filter to show recent sightings, or for any month(s) of the year
• Bar charts of seasonal abundance built from the OdonataCentral database of sightings
• Maps of recent sightings from OdonataCentral
• Use Smart Search to quickly identify a species by color, size and habitat
• Read descriptive text to help confirm the identification (contact us if you'd like to help!)
• View the crowd-sourced gallery of images (contribute your photos at birdseye.photo/dragonflies)
• Submit dragonfly sightings to OdonataCentral directly from the app (BUT SEE NOTE BELOW)
• Track your life list via the app for any region
• Sign in with an OdonataCentral account to see your sightings populate your life lists
NOTE: this first release of sighting submission has MAJOR limitations:
• Sightings cannot yet be edited after submission. We are working on it and it should be just a matter of a few weeks. In the meanwhile let us know if a sighting urgently needs to be edited or deleted.
• Currently sightings do NOT go to OdonataCentral, but they will at some point in the future (~1 year?). In the meanwhile they will be visible within the app in a different color than regular OC sightings.
• Sightings submitted through the app are NOT vetted by OC experts
Dragonfly ID is a collaboration between BirdsEye and the folks at OdonataCentral and the Xerces Society with special thanks to the membership of the Dragonfly Society of the Americas and users of OdonataCentral, the Migratory Dragonfly Partnership, and PondWatch for their data contributions.
What's New in Version 2.1
Minor change to the major update below. Identical except that it restored photographs.
** MAJOR UPDATE: Please read before upgrading **
Complete re-design that is, we think, cleaner, more intuitive and easier to use:
* Zoomable photos
* Photos of every species in the continental US and Canada (We're still missing text for many species if you'd like to help.)
* Convenient regional lists
* Submit sightings from the app ... but PLEASE READ notes below!!
Sighting submission in this first release has major limitations to be aware of, most importantly that sightings cannot yet be edited after submission (we're working on it). Sightings submitted through the app are NOT regular OdonataCentral reports, are NOT vetted by experts. Sightings will be visible to the public via the app but NOT initially via the OdonataCentral website. Sightings will at some point in the future (~1 year?) integrate with the OC website. For now you can think of this as a feature that will help you keep track of your personal sightings. This app is a work in progress so you'll see improvements over the next few months.
Please DON'T submit junk sightings! If you want to test this functionality please use real sightings to do so. If you notice erroneous sightings let us know and we'll remove them.
Again, this is a first release of the new design and two features of the old version are still missing:
OdonataCentral life list sync; and
“Needs” lists based on your OdonataCentral life list
Those are on the “to do” list. Your comments and suggestions are welcome!
Great app - very useful. A few things to add...
This app is a fantastic tool for field and office. The Field Guide is great, but could use more photos at diff angles.
The option to submit observations is something recently added, and can I say a great big THANK YOU! This offers the ability for you to upload observations straight to OdonataCentral - a huge time saving device. The only thing lacking with that, is that you cannot submit an observation without linking it with a species. This is impractical because so many species photographed will be unable to narrow down to species without closer scrutiny, but having the genus documented is still valuable data. Also it eliminates a great resource in amateurs documenting things. Except for the very obvious common species, the general public will most likely avoid submitting an observation unless they can put "unknown" as the designate.
I encourage the developers to add the ability to add a couple of categories for submission...
- unknown damselfly
- unknown dragonfly
And perhaps categories down to family... I.e.
- unknown forktail
- unknown meadowhawk
Apart from that addition needed, and the addition of "regions" or "states" for search ability, this app is GREAT and worth 4 stars.
Thanks once again,
Has a lot of potential
This app, like the Odonata central website, Is only as good as the data people put into it. As more and more records are submitted to OC, This app should improve. One feature that doesn't seem to work is the map filter. It would be very handy to know what species are native to a given area, but I can't seem to get it to provide that information. The nearest I can come is greater New York City which isn't much use for me.
great app - super useful
This app provides excellent ID tips, range maps, and photos of all or nearly all the odonates in the U.S. the ability to filter by state makes finding a match to my photos fairly simple. Highly recommended for anyone wishing to learn more about the most astonishing and colorful aerial predators in the world.
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Nov 16, 2016
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 136 MB
- Languages: English, Spanish
- Seller: Birds in the Hand, LLC
- © 2016 Birds in the Hand, LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.