DrawType is a Keyboard Extension that allows you to draw images and paste them into apps that support text and images like, Messages and Mail. Use DrawType to reply to friends when a hand drawn picture might be quicker or more personal than text.
NOTE: To a few people sadly leaving one star reviews. Allow Full Access is required by Apple for the Copy/Paste functionality and Save To Camera Roll features in DrawType. DrawType does not store, log or transmit any information of any kind, but you will still see a warning appear. There is unfortunately nothing I can do about this requirement so please be kind! :-)
- Supports multiple brush colors
- 3 different line thicknesses
- Multiple undo states.
- Tapered Lines
- Full Alphanumeric Keyboard
- Larger Draw Area.
Futures in development:
- additional brush colors including white.
- improvements to the alphanumeric keyboard.
- optimized stroke drawing
- ability to set background colors
- When you are ready to paste your image, hit the copy button. Then do a long press in your text field to paste the image.
- To activate DrawType toggle to it using the Globe button.
- To install the Keyboard go to your device's System app and Navigate to: General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Add New Keyboard and select DrawType.
- Then select DrawType in the list of active Keyboards and enable Allow Full Access.
Privacy and Allow Full Access:
- No personal information or typed text of any kind is recorded or transmitted by this app.
- Allow Full Access is required for the Copy / Paste functionality and Save To Camera Roll feature.
Critical bugfix for the iPhone 6+ where drawing more than a few strokes could cause a crash.
Ratings and Reviews
The digitizer mapping is inaccurate
I tried to craft a written response to a text message using a soft point stylus and noticed that where touched the screen was south of where the line was. I switched to a Jot Pro and the difference was noticeable - about 4mm.
Also if you compose in landscape view and switch to portrait you can't see and don't have access to anything written to the right side.
All of this makes me wonder how much testing this product underwent before it was released.
Beyond fixing these issues an improvement would be adding a watercolor brush through the implementation of translucency.
Perfect concept; looking forward to future development.
First off, drawing a message for someone is invaluable and worth it right away.
A few ideas though...
- I'd love to have the drawing retain their state when switching keyboards/apps. Tapping a notification (or switching apps) mid-drawing will erase the drawing when you go back to resume your message.
- A *white* brush (or eraser) would be nice for drawings where you fill the background in and want white elements on top, or you know... want to erase something without using undo.
- iPad support would be more than welcome.
- Possibly reduce/explain the necessary device access when enabling the keyboard.
Otherwise, the app does what it sets out to do quite well, and I hope it has enough support from people to continue development!
Easy, breezy, (almost) beautiful
I'm in love with this keyboard. I can't go back to a world where I can't draw in the message app.
However, there are a couple problems. Chiefly that there is no white/eraser. Add that and you'll be golden. If you want to go the extra mile, add some additional colors (although the ten or so provided are basically fine - no good skin tone colors though).
Overall I'm very pleased, white and I'm hoping the developer plans continued support!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.