DropDMG is the easiest way to create macOS disk images, as well as cross-platform archives. Just drag and drop a folder or file and you’re done. Or, you can drag an existing disk image or archive onto DropDMG to convert it to any of the other supported formats.
Deliver your Mac app on a .dmg file with a software license agreement, a custom volume icon, and a precise icon layout atop a Retina-optimized background picture. Customers can install simply by dragging and dropping the app onto the convenient Applications folder link.
Code-sign your .dmg so that macOS knows it can be trusted after download. (Apps packaged on unsigned disk images or .zip archives are subject to App Translocation, which can prevent them from working.)
DropDMG supports advanced features such as encrypted and segmented disk images, groups of settings saved as configurations, and temporary options. Automate DropDMG via AppleScript, Automator, or the command line. Run the dropdmg tool from Xcode or your custom Makefile or build script. Store the resources for your app’s .dmg under version control.
- Create and convert disk images and archives with a simple drag and drop. There are also many other convenient ways to invoke DropDMG.
- DropDMG supports all the major formats, including compressed .dmg files, .sparsebundle files, .zip and .tar.gz archives, and hybrid disk images.
- Create .dmg disk images that are signed for Gatekeeper and macOS 10.12.
Backups, Archival, and Cloning:
- Save disk space and network transfer time by compressing your files. Choose faster or more efficient compression.
- Split large files or folders into multiple segments to burn them to optical discs or easily transfer them over a network.
- Verify the integrity of your backups and archives to ensure that the media is still intact and that you’ll be able to restore them if needed.
- Create a device image that records the exact contents of a data CD or DVD. You can then burn bootable backup copies of the disc, or double-click the disk image to access its contents as though the disc were still in your optical drive.
- In one step, create a device image clone of an entire hard drive, optimized for restoring using Apple Software Restore or Disk Utility.
- Encrypt files that you want to keep private. DropDMG’s encrypted, writable disk images are faster and safer than Apple’s FileVault, but just as secure and searchable via Spotlight.
- Create encrypted, compressed disk images to securely transfer files via e-mail, Dropbox, or FTP or to store backups safely off-site.
- Choose from 128-bit and 256-bit AES encryption, approved by the U.S. National Security Agency.
- Optionally store your passphrases in the macOS keychain, so that you can quickly create and access encrypted disk images, without the hassle of double-typing or the risk of typos.
- Mount disk images at specific locations in the filesystem, so that your applications can keep their support files encrypted.
- Mount encrypted, segmented disk images without having to enter the passphrase separately for each segment.
- Runs multiple operations simultaneously, so you that you can keep working while DropDMG processes in the background.
- Takes advantage of multiple processor cores for faster compression and encryption.
- Keeps a detailed log of all the successful operations as well as any errors, including statistics such as the throughput and how much space was saved using compression. New log entries are also reported via Growl.
- Get detailed information about your disk images: their formats, partitions, compression ratios, checksums, etc.
- Easily queue up bulk operations for creating, converting, mounting, verifying, getting info, burning, joining, etc. If multiple encrypted disk images share a passphrase, you only need to enter it once.
- Process the names of the output files to add the current date or make the filename server-friendly.
- The "Create macOS Install Disk" command now pre-downloads any required assets from Apple's servers so that the install disk contains everything that you need to install macOS.
- Added instructions for creating a DropDMG Quick Action in macOS 10.14's Finder.
- DropDMG now supports the Hardened Runtime on macOS 10.14.
- Improved the "Security & Privacy Access" instructions.
- DropDMG now reports a helpful error message if the "dropdmg" command-line tool fails because its parent process doesn't have Automation access to control DropDMG on macOS 10.14.
- The license agreement editor now uses a darker background color in Dark Mode to match the disk image mounter.
- Improved the appearance of the log detail drawer in Dark Mode.
- Worked around a bug where the font and color buttons in the license agreement editor didn't show their text because the images were too large.
If you enjoy using DropDMG, please take a minute to rate it or leave a review. We’d really appreciate it.
Ratings and Reviews
I was looking for a way to package my programming in a disk image with a custom background image and a custom image on the icon. I was able to get it to work by following the instructions. I know you can do all this with Disk Utility, which I had been using to create disk images for a long time, but it was just too difficult to fight with to get the background image. It's just not worth my time to fight with something like this when someone has taken the time to create an app like this which is very reasonably priced.
Like many powerful apps and software tools, I only use about 5% of the capabilities of the software. But that's also true for users of my software (WildTools for PowerCADD)!
Thanks for a very complete and well-documented program.
as reliable as always
This is one of those great apps. It does a very simple thing but it does it very well.
Doesn't do what I bought it for - split a .zip into multiple parts. Only .dmgs.
Useless to me and it looked like it was going to do that.
Developer Response ,
The feature to create segmented .zip archives was added in DropDMG 3.2 (November 2012). In general, if you have a question about what DropDMG can do, please view the online version of manual (https://c-command.com/dropdmg/help/) or contact us at email@example.com.
- C-Command Software, LLC
- 15.7 MB
- Developer Tools
OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 C-Command Software
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.