DropSync is for web developers, photo professionals, scientists or anyone in need of a fast, automated and highly customizable way to repeatedly copy files from one place to another. Works with removable hard drives, between computers on a local network and even between your mac and a remote server over SSH.
Setup a pair of folders and easily browse both sides even if one folder is on a remote server (via sftp). Then select items for include/exclude and click to perform an update in the desired direction. Previews show you exactly what will be changed and once you're satisfied that things are working, you can setup DropSync to automatically watch a source folder and update in the background.
Under the hood DropSync uses the amazing rsync tool to perform its changes. This means that its about as fast and memory efficient as a syncing engine can get, and we've worked hard to ensure that DropSync itself will stay responsive even when huge syncs are happening in the background.
- Easily include/exclude subfolders using the built-in browser
- Automated (one-way) syncing when a file changes in the source folder
- Status bar only mode lets you monitor and initiate syncs without opening the main app
- Detailed searchable previews
- An sftp based browser that lets you see and select folders on remote computers
- Custom filters let you include or exclude files based on patterns in filenames
- Browsable history of syncing activity, including detailed logs of every change
- Only transfers the parts of files that have changed for maximum speed over a network
- AppleScript support lets you create custom syncing workflows
- Almost complete support for custom rsync options
New Features in DropSync 3:
- Completely redesigned all aspects of the user interface for simplicity and ease of use
- Most basic rsync options are now accessible via an easy to understand configuration pane
- The app is now fully sandboxed so it cannot touch your files unless you tell it to
It is ideal for:
* Updating on-the-go documents to a USB stick
* Mirroring a website from a remote host to your local computer or vice-versa
* Web development. Edit files locally and have them automatically and efficiently uploaded to a server
* Duplicating files like photos, music and websites to a second computer, external hard drive or remote server.
* Backing up files to a remote server. Works with any server that supports ssh, sftp and rsync.
* Scientific applications involving large amounts of frequently updated data.
Updated ssh support to work with servers that require newer key exchange methods
Ratings and Reviews
Intuitive, Responsive, and Excellent Support
I purchased this app to take the place of my NAS’s native sync software, which left a lot to be desired (QNAP’s Qsync). DropSync's set up is quick and easy. I did have a problem initially getting it to access my NAS folder but it turned out I was mis-interpreting a dialog box (the developer took this feedback to heart and is going to re-word the dialog box). The support for the app (via email or the built in send feedback option) was excellent in terms of speed and effectiveness. As you can see from the App Store’s screen shots, the app is laid out in a very easy / intuitive way to interpret and use. The app seems to sync quickly - it scanned a large music folder in just well under a minute. If I uncover anything worth mentioning, I’ll edit this post in the future. In the meantime, I am very happy with my purchase!
Been using DropSynch for a couple of years now and heve NEVER regretted my purchase.
I’m a photographer and had years worth of photos on my laptop’s hardrive. When I went professional, I realized I needed to start backing up my files to external sources. I had already spent years developing a workflow, wo I wanted complete control over the file locations and the backup process.
This is perfect! After a very brief learning curve, I was easily backing up everything. If I only add files to one folder, I can just synch that folder. I have several sync templates set up to quickly backup wichever folder I have worked with.
It even works when backing up files to my Network Drives (NAS)!
Great tool to work on remote server
Two-click synchronization, backup enabled, very helpful tool! Tried it for 2 days and decided to buy it.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.