DrumKick for iPhone
By Mark Jeschke
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
DrumKick for iPhone is the ultimate live performance drum app on-the-go! It gives you the freedom to play a great-sounding, intuitively laid-out drum kit anywhere—without the hassle of lugging your entire acoustic set to the show. Simply plug into a P.A. system, headphones, a boombox, or an amplifier, and you're ready to rock!
– Now with Core and Virtual MIDI support!
– Now with Audiobus & Inter-App Audio support!
– Featured in Apple's December 2014 Music-Making Apps for "The Song."
– Featured in Apple's Band In Your Hand showcase
– Rated as a Killer App on Apps4iDevices
DrumKick is the only stereo drum app that allows you to play the kick drum with your foot!
With DrumKick installed on two iOS devices, such as an iPad and an iPhone, you can use the iPhone as a Bluetooth remote to play the kick drum with your foot! It also works with two iPhones or iPod touches. Or, you can mix and match.
How does it work?
Playing the virtual kick drum pedal is achieved by inserting the iPhone (upside down) into a snug fitness band that's wrapped around your ankle, or the front tube of your relatively clean crew sock. Tap your toes with your heel down, and the iPhone's accelerometer will trigger the kick drum sound on another iPhone or iPod touch via Bluetooth.
• Play the kick drum sound with your foot, using a second iOS device via Bluetooth.
• High-quality drum stereo sounds with independent control of their volume, pitch and pan levels.
• Low-latency with drum taps and sounds.
• Retina-enhanced, interactive, 3-D animated drums and cymbals.
• Optimized for iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5s.
• Multiple tap regions for triggering different drum and cymbal sounds.
• Ability to switch the drum kit's audio output from stereo to mono when connected to stereo speakers, such as a P.A. system.
• Touch-hold on the crash cymbal for a choked cymbal* muting effect.
• Audiobus & Inter-App Audio support (iOS7+) for adding effects apps to DrumKick's output and recording into to GarageBand, Loopy, or AudioShare.
• Core MIDI IN & OUT support, thanks to Nic Grant of Audeonic Apps for his robust MidiBus Library. http://midib.us.
• Jam along with music apps that run in the background, such as GarageBand, Pandora, or your iPod music library.
• Minimum requirements: iPad 1, iPhone 3Gs, and iPod touch (3rd generation), running iOS 4.3 through iOS 7. Although this version states iOS 7 only, you can still download the prior iOS 7 build of DrumKick, which runs on iOS 4.3 - iOS 6.1. iPad 2, iPhone 4S and newer devices are recommended.
* No cymbals were harmed during the making of this app.
DrumKick is not just for professionals. Kids and toddlers love playing it, too! The best part about it is volume control and the headphone jack!
Please feel free to rate and review DrumKick in the App Store. As an independent developer, your feedback will allow me to make further improvements, and make DrumKick the best drum app that I can.
Note: If you have an issue or find a bug within DrumKick for iPhone, please do not inform me about it in an App Review, since that method doesn't provide your contact information. For help and support, please send an email to:
1. Missing UI panel for controlling the playback and recording from an Inter-App Audio connected app.
2. The right crash cymbal's glow does not disappear upon exiting drum edit mode. Simply tap on a different cymbal or drum to turn it off.
What's New in Version 1.0.6
• Core and Virtual MIDI support, thanks to Nic Grant of Audeonic Apps for his robust MidiBus Library (http://midib.us) and generous help. You can customize input and output MIDI note maps, so that DrumKick can easily play or be played by other MIDI-enabled apps and hardware. Suh-weet!
• Added a Background Audio switch, so that you can hear DrumKick's audio while playing with other MIDI-enabled apps in the foreground. Background audio is disabled by default, so that it won't drain your battery.
• Updated Audiobus SDK 2.1.6
• Added new content in the Help & Tips section for potential MIDI or Audiobus related questions.
• NOTE: The 3D animated cymbals have been disabled to save memory for use with Audiobus and Inter-App Audio with multiple apps. Please feel free to enable the 3D animations from within DrumKick's app settings.
Please feel free to rate and review this updated version of DrumKick in the App Store–even if you've submitted a review in the past. As an independent developer, your feedback will allow me to make further improvements, and make DrumKick the best drum app that I can.
If you have an issue or find a bug within DrumKick, please do not inform me about it in an App Review, since that method doesn't provide your contact information. For help and support, please send an email to:
INCREDIBLE drum app - best on the market!
At first, I was surprised at how much thought went into the layout of the drum kit. This is the only app that seems to "get it" when it comes to translating how you play for maximum performance with a real kit into how you play for maximum performance with a mobile device. Secondly, the animation is great. I love seeing the cymbals fly and the other drums rattle, just like the real deal.
Then there are the useful touch "zones" displaying how and where to play for all types of hits. There's no guesswork if I need a drum roll, a rim shot, a closed hi-hat with kick. And the options for sounds easily beat out any other drum app - most just give you the basic hits, nothing more.
Now for the best part. Once I realized that you could sync up your devices and play the kick drum with your foot, I was totally blown away! Absolutely ingenious! It's as close as you can get to playing with a real kit, using just your iPhone and iPad! And it's a whole lot easier than hauling your kit around!
Great for plugging in and jamming with friends, on the bus with headphones on, and anywhere else! Absolutely a must have app for both serious drummers and amateurs alike!
I was impressed with the idea of using my phone as a kick pedal and my ipad as the rest of the drumset but there is a considerable delay when you kick your foot and when the the kick pedal activates. It may have to do with the placement of the phone on my ankle or something. I will keep playinf with it to see if it improves. Overall it's a cool idea but it might need some tweaking. For free tho, it's a cool app.
DrumKick sounds great on its own, but it sounds even better running through effects apps, such as AUFX:Space, Swoopster, Caramel, and even Bias. Audiobus truly expands the range of sounds. Very welcome addition, indeed. Now, I can record and email my drum playing via AudioShare or GarageBand. So, now I'm happy.
- Category: Music
- Updated: May 15, 2015
- Version: 1.0.6
- Size: 35.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Mark Jeschke
- © 2015 Mark Jeschke
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.