By Mark Jeschke
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
*** 60% off for a limited time! ***
DrumKick is the ultimate live performance drum app on-the-go! It gives you the freedom to play a great-sounding, intuitively laid-out drum kit anywhere—without the hassle of lugging your entire acoustic set to the show. Simply plug into a P.A. system, headphones, a boombox, or an amplifier, and you're ready to rock!
– Featured in Apple's Band In Your Hand showcase
– Rated as a Killer App on Apps4iDevices
– DrumKick video on DrumKickApp.com
DrumKick is the only stereo drum app that allows you to play the kick drum with your foot!
••• IMPORTANT iOS 7 NOTICE •••
DrumKick works under iOS 7 as a stand-alone app, with the exception of the Bluetooth kick drum remote feature. If you're still using iOS 6, there aren't any issues. An update is being worked on and should be released, soon. I apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
With DrumKick installed on two iOS devices, such as an iPad and an iPhone, you can use the iPhone as a Bluetooth remote to play the kick drum with your foot! It also works with two iPhones or iPod touches. Or, you can mix and match.
How does it work?
Playing the virtual kick drum pedal is achieved by inserting the iPhone (upside down) into a snug fitness band that's wrapped around your ankle, or the front tube of your relatively clean crew sock. Tap your toes with your heel down, and the iPhone's accelerometer will trigger the kick drum sound on the iPad via Bluetooth.
• Play the kick drum sound with your foot, using a second iOS device via Bluetooth.
• High-quality drum stereo sounds with independent control of their volume, pitch and pan levels.
• Low-latency with drum taps and sounds.
• Retina-enhanced, interactive, 3-D animated drums and cymbals.*
• Optimized for new iPad and iPhone 5.
• Multiple tap regions for triggering different drum and cymbal sounds.
• Ability to switch the drum kit's audio output from stereo to mono when connected to stereo speakers, such as a P.A. system.
• Touch-hold on the crash cymbal for a choked cymbal** muting effect.
• Jam along with music apps that run in the background, such as GarageBand, Pandora, or your iPod music library.
• Minimum requirements: iPad 1, iPhone 3GS, and iPod touch (3rd generation), running iOS 4.3. iPad 2, iPhone 4S and newer devices are recommended.
* Note: 3-D animations are disabled for iPad 1, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 3rd/4th generation devices.
** No cymbals were harmed during the making of this app.
DrumKick is not just for professionals. Kids and toddlers love playing it, too! The best part about it is volume control and the headphone jack!
Note: DrumKick for iPhone-only is also available. It's 48mb, whereas this version of DrumKick for iPad/iPhone is 185mb, since it includes the iPad Retina and non-Retina animations. Both versions include the same great features.
If you enjoy using DrumKick or have suggestions to improve the app, please rate and review it on the App Store. Thank you for your support!
What's New in Version 1.1.1
• Fixed a bug that would cause the cymbals and kick drum to become inaudible, due to a unique combination of simultaneous taps.
• Added detection of older devices, prior to iPhone 4, iPad 2, and iPod touch 5th generation. Due to a some reported crashes on a couple of iPad 1 and iPod touch 4th generation devices, a one-time alert will inform the user that her/his device isn't able to process the 3-D drum and cymbal animations, which are turned off by default.
• Added an option to turn the 3-D animations off to improve DrumKick's stability during live performance, and while playing with other music apps that are running in the background.
• Added a stereo-to-mono option, which is important when playing live with external speakers. The stereo mix is ideal for headphones, but not while playing with house speakers that are far apart from each other.
• The welcome feature overview screen will only display once, upon startup launch, and not show again, unless you opt for it in the Settings menu.
Thanks to everyone for your feedback! Please help improve DrumKick by rating and writing a review on the App Store.
::::: DrumKick video on DrumKickApp.com! :::::
The Best Virtual Drumkit!
First things first: I'm a drummer and I love it! The quality of the sounds and the lay out of the kit is incredible! Don't stop developing it!
• Sections on cymbals for just a stick tap for softer songs and a cymbal run-up splash.
• More work on the Bluetooth tethering idea. It doesn't work well. It's either too sensitive (misfires ALOT) or not sensitive enough (can't do 16th notes).
IDEA! Perhaps make foot triggers that plug into the iOS device for both bass drum and hihat and sell it at the Apple Store. I'd buy it.
• More options for heads and tuning and kit customization including more kit styles, colors, and positions, but that's just icing on the cake.
Neat idea. But still a toy.
This app has fairly decent samples and is quite responsive. But at this time the iPhone/iPod as a kick drum is purely a gimmick. It is prone to constant misfires when you use an iPhone 5 or an iPod. Also the lack of AudioBus or AudioCopy makes it pretty pointless. It's a complete joke to think anyone would use this to play live. It could be a halfway decent app for recording "live" drumming if the misfires are sorted out and some form of internal audio routing is added. Until then it's purely a toy for kids and only deserves 2 stars. If the needed features/fixes are added in the future it would deserve a solid 4 stars.
This app is decent. I think it deserves 3.5-4 stars. The samples should have more variation and should change with velocity like vDrums if possible. Also, when using another device for the kick, it is too unresponsive and too much latency is present. Very cool idea but not very reliable. If it were possible to fix these then I'd give 5 stars easy. Good job and I look forward to future updates.
- Category: Music
- Updated: Jun 26, 2013
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 185 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Mark Jeschke
- © 2013 Mark Jeschke
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.