By Marinus J.G. van de Molengraft
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
DrumPerfect is a drum sequencer for IOS 7 that aims at creating extremely naturally sounding drum tracks.
DrumPerfect features three extensive editors to easily create very human-like drum sequences:
- An extensive pattern editor in which each individual drum stroke has its own velocity, timing and probability. Each pattern has its own BPM, time signature and beat subdivision settings. Multiple strokes can be linked to a single probabilistic event.
- An extensive kit editor with up to 16 different drum kits with 16 instruments each. Every instrument consists of up to 16 different user-selectable audio samples.
- An extensive song editor in which a song is built of pattern/kit events.
The "Two-handed" and "Humanize" features give a human feel to the rhythm by modelling the human drummer restrictions and variations. Active CPU Load Control ensures smooth operation, also on iPad2/3 models.
DrumPerfect offers extensive options for audio-transfer with other apps:
- Live-audio source for other apps via Audiobus and Inter-App-Audio.
- Audio rendering/upload to AudioShare, AudioCopy2, SoundCloud and Dropbox. Both mixed and separate track export.
- Import of audio samples via iTunes or AudioPaste2.
- Midiclock sync input with midi song pointer, midi start and midi stop.
What's New in Version 1.02
All-in-one grid view for easy drum pattern setup.
Choking strokes to choke an instrument.
Copy/Merge function to create new rhythms by combining existing ones.
Easy auditioning of samples.
More sample patterns.
Various bug fixes and improvements.
Very good functionality, and love the Grid mode!
This is hands-down one of the top 3 or 4 drum apps out there for iOS in terms of flexibility and features. The humanize and probability options, combined with the ability to program in any time signature, make this a true winner. There is no other iOS drum app with that combination of features, and I have most of them.
The latest update provides an option to view the tracks in Grid mode, so that you can see all the tracks on one page, much like a sequencer. This makes it really easy to create patterns quickly and make adjustments, then go back to single-track mode for fine tuning. The open and dense grid view options are a nice touch.
Would be nice to be able to record and then export my patterns as MIDI files, that would take this app into 5-star territory.
Might be a little bit of a CPU hog if the meter is to be believed.