Duolingo - Learn Languages for Free
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Duolingo is Apple's iPhone App of the Year!
Learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Irish, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, and English. Totally fun. Totally free.
"Far and away the best language-learning app." —The Wall Street Journal
"Duolingo may hold the secret to the future of education."—TIME Magazine
PC Magazine Editors' Choice for Language Learning: "Among iPhone apps for learning or practicing a language, you can't beat Duolingo."
"The most productive means of procrastination I’ve ever discovered. The short lesson blocks are painless and peppy, and reaching the next level (and then the level after that) becomes addictive." —Slate
Duolingo is changing the way people learn languages.
With Duolingo, you learn a language completely for free. You have fun while you learn, leveling up and competing with friends.
Yeah, it's pretty sweet.
What's New in Version 4.6.2
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Best free language app ever, however I have one suggestion
Honestly this is the best free app to learn a new language. However, I have a suggestion. I came across Duolingo trying to see if I could learn Japanese, but when I scrolled through the list of languages, there were some common ones as well as some very unknown languages. This kind of discouraged me, but I did not want to let go of the app without trying something first. I've been doing Spanish for a while, but I realized that it does not get me as excited as learning Japanese does. I downloaded some additional free apps strictly focused on Japanese. The good news about these apps is that had 5 star ratings and good reviews all around and I learned every single lesson every single one had to offer in 4 days. The downside to these apps was that the developers did not update some of them to the point where new lessons were added to further challenge/entertain users. Please don't be one of those apps. So I was hoping that Duolingo could add the languages that are spoken the most in today's society and the ones mentioned in areas tourists visit the most in order for everyone to familiarize themselves with the languages of their areas first before adding languages that are rarely mentioned.
Awesome! Some user requests...
I love the concept of Duolingo in general, and the app is solid. I've used a lot of other online language learning courses, and I like the emphasis and motivation to maintain a consistent and daily practice routine. Even if just 10 minutes a day, daily practice is so important in learning a language.
I am enjoying the latest update, however there are some things I would love to see on the next one:
1) Please display the amount of experience points needed for the next level up. As far as I can see, this isn't anywhere on the mobile app. Just the desktop site.
2) It would be awesome to include the grammar lessons, at least to the tablet or iPad versions.
3) Sometimes when I switch time zones, my streak goes away, depending on if I completed my goal for a certain day close to midnight or not (which I imagine for plenty of people this is when they have time to study). I travel a lot (as anyone learning a foreign language might do) and this is so aggravating!!!
4) This is small, but would be super useful: I use a Bluetooth keyboard for my tablet and phone. I can type in my sentences and hit return to submit the answer, but I still have to reach away from the keyboard and touch continue on the screen, which is a little annoying. Please allow the return key or space bar to continue to the next screen. It would keep a flow and speed up my lessons.
Thanks a bunch guys!
Duolingo is one of my favorite apps. One of my family members recently married someone who is from a foreign country. My family and I have used Duolingo to learn words from her language, and she really seems to appreciate our efforts. The app offers multiple languages, and they are structured to be easy to learn. You start with the basics, and quickly gain the confidence to move to more difficult words and conjugations. if I had one complaint about the app, it would be that they send too many notifications. I don't want to turn my notifications completely off, but I don't want to get reminded multiple times a day. Overall a very good app!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Apr 26, 2016
- Version: 4.6.2
- Size: 24.3 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Duolingo, Inc
- © 2015 Duolingo, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Streak Repair$2.99
- Streak Repair$4.99
- Formal Attire$1.99
- Streak Freeze$0.99