By Caramba App Development
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Unique: Measure the distance from a depth map created by the two (dual) back cameras of your iPhone!
The two back cameras of the iPhone X and 7/8 Plus offer a unique opportunity to calculate the distance to objects seen be the two cameras. These cameras effectively mimic how the two eyes of human beings enable distance estimations. This app enables you to utilize this phenomenon, create a depth map and use your iPhone as an accurate measurement device!
The scientific term for distance calculations from two cameras is stereopsis, or binocular disparity. Distance is derived from the different projection of objects onto each retina to judge depth. By using two images of the same scene obtained from slightly different angles, it is possible to triangulate the distance to an object with a high degree of accuracy. Each camera views a slightly different angle of an object seen by the left and right camera. This happens because of the horizontal separation the cameras. If an object is far away, the disparity of that image falling on both cameras will be small. If the object is close or near, the disparity will be large.
EasyDistance is using an innovative, highly efficient calculation algorithm to quickly derive the distance to objects you capture with your camera. No need for tape measures anymore, as EasyDistance will work accurately up to 4 meters! No calibration needed!!
NOTE: Due to the close separation distance between the dual cameras, EasyDistance can measure accurately between 15 and 400 cm (6 - 160 inches). Best results are obtained when you support your phone on a stable surface when taking measurements!
HOW TO USE IN 3 SIMPLE STEPS
1) Drag and aim the yellow target box at the object you want to measure. Notice the distance estimates on the screen
2) Tap the Measurement button for a more accurate calculation of the distance
3) EasyDistance will accurately derive the distance to the object. In the captured screen, you can drag the yellow target box to measure other objects
Note that when you save your measurements, you can always go back to the photo and measures distances at any location on the photo (upgraded version).
TIPS FOR ACCURATE MEASUREMENTS
- Support your iPhone on a stable surface to ensure minimal movement of your phone during the measurement
- Always use your iPhone in portrait orientation when using the app
- Tap the toggle button on the top left to view the depth map
- Make sure the object you intend to measure has sufficient 'edges'. Especially vertically oriented edges help to make the measurement successfull. A completely uniform area cannot be measures, as the two cameras will not be able to distinguish differences from their view points
- Ensure a well-lit, bright environment. If the measurement is unsuccessful, you can switch on the flashlight in the app.
- During the measurement procedure, try to hold the iPhone as steady as possible. For best results, place or lean your iPhone against a solid, stable support when taking a measurement
- Measurements up to 4 meters are possible, and down to about 15 cm
DISCLAIMER: To function correctly, this app needs the dual camera that are currently available on the iPhone X and 7/8 Plus. The app will not work on other devices. To measure distance on other devices, please use our app EasyMeasure.
What's New in Version 3.3
Fixed a bug that caused distances to slightly change after taking picture
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Nov 14, 2017
- Version: 3.3
- Size: 6.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Caramba App Development
- © 2016 Caramba Apps
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- EasyDistance Premium$0.99