DVPRemote for Roku
By Phil Irey
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The original iOS remote for the Roku Player - featured in Engadget and Macworld
See a preview at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlYhsEEw_9Y
DVPRemote for Roku enables your iOS device to control Roku Digital Video Players (DVP). In addition supporting to all standard Roku infrared remote control functions, DVPRemote for Roku enables a user to:
- Enter text using voice dictation (on devices that support it) or the use the standard iOS keyboard in portrait or landscape mode (on all devices).
- Automatically navigate to any Netflix instant queue title by tapping on it in a list that can be presented in queue position or alphabetic order. (This feature may not work in countries such as Canada that don't support an 'Instant Queue')
- Select a channel by tapping on it in a user prioritized list.
- Execute functions by tapping buttons on a user selected remote "skin".
- Execute functions by swiping and tapping on a gesture pad which supports both "natural" and standard gestures.
- Control multiple players and switch between them with a single swipe gesture.
- Customize the look (e.g. choose a skin) and behavior (e.g. enable/disable lock screen, sound, vibration, etc.) of the app.
- Send the iOS paste buffer to a Roku player.
DVPRemote for Roku will automatically configure itself by finding the Roku players on your network. It also allows player information to be entered manually if desired.
DVPRemote is not limited to short range line of sight like a standard infrared remote since a WiFI network connection is used. This allows control of Roku players that are inside entertainment centers, in another part of the house, or (with appropriate configuration) anywhere on the internet.
DVPRemote does not currently support the gaming functions of the Roku 2 XS bluetooth remote (e.g. A and B buttons and motion sensing).
If you plan to purchase DVPRemote to control a Roku Player and you do NOT have an infrared remote that can control the Roku, and you need to change the Roku's network configuration, please see the support web site section entitled "But what if I can’t use my Roku infrared remote control ???" for caveats on using DVPRemote in this case.
The Roku Player to be controlled must be accessible from a connection on the device running DVPRemote for all functions of this application to work properly. Roku Players to be controlled by DVPRemote can be connected by either hardwired ethernet or WiFi.
DVPRemote will NOT control the Netflix features of non-Roku-based devices (e.g. Blu-ray players).
DVPRemote will NOT control Roku Soundbridge devices. (An iTunes search will reveal several apps that do this.)
If you have any issues with DVPRemote or comments about it, please contact me at the support link provided on this page. Most issues are easily with the exchange of a few emails. Without your feedback, I can't address issues you might be having and improve the app.
What's New in Version 3.0.3
Fixed crash when displaying Netflix movie queue on iOS 7.1 (Thanks to Ryan for identifying this problem!)
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Apr 18, 2014
- Version: 3.0.3
- Size: 5.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Phil Irey
- © Philip M. Irey IV
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.