By Northern Speech Services, Inc
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Excellent visual tool to aid professionals in educating patients and families about swallowing disorders. This app features state-of-the-art animations derived from MBSImP™ research on swallowing physiology and impairment. The custom-designed video animations accurately depict normal swallow physiology and provide clear examples of varying physiologic impairments of the swallow. Video controls allow for slow motion, pause, and frame-by-frame forward and reverse.
Animations are of adult physiology and include:
• Normal Swallow, Lateral View
• Normal Swallow, A/P View
• Example of Penetration with Aspiration
• Impairment of Bolus Transport
• Impairment of Initiation of Pharyngeal Swallow
• Impairment of Anterior Hyoid Excursion
• Impairment of Laryngeal Vestibular Closure
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Contraction
• Impairment of PES Opening
• Impairment of Tongue Base Retraction
• Animations depict adult physiology, including normal swallow.
• The animations included in this app accurately represent the anatomy and physiology of normal and impaired swallowing function. They were developed in conjunction with the evidence-based "Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile," or MBSImP.
• Rarely does one physiologic swallow impairment exist alone. This app highlights primary impairments, but co-existing impairments typically occur and the examples shown here are no exception.
• Available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
What's New in Version 2.0
Corrected compatibility issues with iOS 8.3.
Expected Much More from Northern Speech
As a student clinician, I was hoping to have purchased an app that I could use for reference, and show to patients. Northern Speech is such a great company with a wealth of resources, that I assumed this app would be no exception. I was disappointed that there were few videos, no vocal descriptions, and also not at least a brief structure description.
Over priced by about 8 bucks
Works fine but I don't see this getting much if any long term use other than to have something at hand to educate lay ppl
This app could be really great for educating dysphagia patients. However, there are only a few swallow sample videos to choose from and they don't seem to represent the problems that my patents have. In my opinion, $10.00 is an outrageous price for an app like this but I'm willing to pay it if the app serves a purpose. This does not come close to being adequate. There is hope, though. If the maker of the app is willing to add more videos (many more are needed to make this app worthwhile - at least 10-15 more) than I will rewrite this review and give it a better rating. Right now it's not worth the money that they are charging. Please update with more videos.
- Category: Medical
- Updated: Aug 04, 2015
- Version: 2.0
- Size: 162 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Northern Speech Services, Inc
- © 2012 Northern Speech Services, Inc
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.