Excellent visual tool to aid professionals in educating patients and families about swallowing disorders. This app features state-of-the-art animations derived from MBSImP™ research on swallowing physiology and impairment. The custom-designed video animations accurately depict normal swallow physiology and provide clear examples of varying physiologic impairments of the swallow. Video controls allow for zoom, slow motion, pause, and frame-by-frame forward and reverse. Also new in this version is a brief audio-visual overview of normal swallow function.
Animations are of adult physiology and include:
• Normal Swallow, Lateral View
• Normal Swallow, A/P View
• Example of Penetration with Aspiration
• Impairment of Anterior Hyoid Excursion
• Impairment of Bolus Hold
• Impairment of Bolus Transport
• Impairment of Epiglottic Movement
• Impairment of Esophageal Clearance
• Impairment of Initiation of Pharyngeal Swallow
• Impairment of Laryngeal Elevation
• Impairment of Laryngeal Vestibular Closure
• Impairment of Lip Closure
• Impairment of Mastication
• Impairment of PES Opening
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Contraction
• Impairment of Pharyngeal Stripping Wave
• Impairment of Soft Palate Elevation
• Impairment of Tongue Base Retraction
• Animations depict adult physiology, including normal swallow.
• The animations included in this app accurately represent the anatomy and physiology of normal and impaired swallowing function. They were developed in conjunction with the evidence-based "Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile," or MBSImP.
• Rarely does one physiologic swallow impairment exist alone. This app highlights primary impairments, but co-existing impairments typically occur and the examples shown here are no exception.
• Available for iPhone and iPad.
- Fixed bug where the animation frames would appear out of order on some devices
Ratings and Reviews
I use this for dysphasia patients before and after they go for a modified barium swallow study. Imagine trying to explain how the epiglottis works and it's function in swallowing. With this app you can show them and they understand this immediately it is clearer than the actual VF and this should be a required tool for all grad students. This is my favorite and most used app.
Great teaching tool!
As an SLP, I have mainly used my iPad for the pediatric clinic work that I do. But when I saw this app I realized my adult home health clients would benefit from this. I have used it with all my adult dysphagia clients. The feedback that I'm getting from both patients and caregivers is that they appreciate the teaching ...showing them what a swallow looks like and what aspiration really means. So glad I bought this app.
I use this app just about every day with my home care patients to help them understand what's going on when they swallow. The graphics are great and having the ability to adjust the speed and pause the animation is crucial. It's one of my most frequently used apps and I recommend it to all my colleagues!
- Northern Speech Services, Inc
- 312.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-2017 Northern Speech Services, Inc
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.