Easy CSV Editor is one of the best editors for CSV and TSV data files you'll find on the market. In a clean and user-friendly interface, it offers simplicity and flexibility to edit both small and large documents.
• Open, create, edit and save CSV & TSV documents even if they are not properly formatted, like don't have the same number of fields in each row!
• Sort the entire document or a range of rows, based on multiple sorting rules.
• Merge or split the selected cells or even entire columns. Multiple options lets you configure how the merge or split is performed!
• Fill the selected cells using text of your choice.
• Find and Replace text using a familiar, yet powerful, interface.
• Find and Replace is supported in the entire document as well as in selected columns/rows/cells. To search in your desired range you right click on the selection and choose "Find in" menu item or click the "search" image in the find bar and then access the options from "Find In" submenu.
• Find also lets you configure where in the cells' text to look for matches: "Contains", "Equals To", "Starts With" and "Ends With".
• Use "Clear" menu item to "cut" the last fields from a row (or even entire rows!). This way you can produce beautiful documents, without the usual clutter produced by the in excess field separators.
• Auto-detection of CSV format, while providing you the option to adjust the detected parameters.
• Select a group of cells to copy, cut or clear. This is in addition to selecting entire rows and columns!
• Full support for Undo & Redo.
• Copy & Paste data between Easy CSV Editor and other applications (i.e. Excel, Numbers). Works the other way around, too!
• Text transformations which allow you to cleanup and beautify your documents.
• Customize the font used to display the CSV data. You can even increase or decrease the font size per document window (from "View" menu). These changes are persisted between application relaunches!
• You can configure, from "Preferences" -> "General" tab, whether or not you want to be prompted for CSV input properties each time you open a file that has been opened before. If you choose to not be prompted then the application will use the last known properties for that file to open it.
• Status bar at the bottom of the CSV window. On left, it shows the following: number of rows, columns and cells, either for the entire document or for the selection. Also shows the number of cells which are empty and nonempty. On the right, it shows a calculation performed on the selected cells. You can choose one of the following calculations: Sum, Average, Min, Max, Count Numbers.
• Customize the CSV properties when the document is saved.
• Quickly visualize and change the properties of an opened document - just hit Command + I or tap "Inspector" button in the toolbar.
• Use first row from the CSV as table's header.
• Drag & Move entire columns and rows.
• Change the width of individual columns by dragging the column separators.
• Double click the column separator so the column to the left to resize its width to fit the content.
• Add rows or columns, via existing shortcuts or menu items, to the left/right/up/down of selection.
• Insert copied rows/columns above or below the selection.
• Quickly jump to a row (Command + L).
• Quickly jump to the cells which are selected (Command + J).
• Quickly move, via existing shortcuts or menu items, to document's left/right/top/bottom margin.
• Preferences - among other things you can change the visibility of gridlines, headers, footers and line numbers.
• Print - among other things you can customize if the headers and line numbers are printed or not.
• Full screen support.
• Tabs support on macOS Sierra 10.12 and above - hit Command + T to create a new tab in the current window.
• Dark Mode support on macOS Mojave 10.14
• Fixes a very edge case of parsing CSV files containing NULL characters. Instead of the parsing being prematurely aborted because of the NULL character, this will continue until the very end of the file.
• Fixes a crash which sometimes happened when pasting data in multiple seleted cells.
Introduced in Version 1.21
• Dark Mode - Easy CSV Editor now supports Dark Mode on macOS Mojave 10.14
• Adds support to create a new document from the cells which are selected. This is available from "File" -> "New from Selection" menu item. If the current document has a header, then this header will be added to the new document, too.
• Decreases the minimum width of a column from 60 pixels to 30 pixels. Because sometimes it is useful for the column widths to be very narrow.
• Adds "File" -> "Show in Finder" menu item which reveals the current document in a Finder window. This is useful especially if you forget where the document is located. There is also a toolbar button for this action, too, but it's not added to the toolbar by default. If you want to add it, then you can do it from "View" -> "Customize Toolbar..."
• Fixes a crash which rarely happened when pasting data.
• The numbers containing grouping separators are now properly parsed and included in the calculations.
Introduced in Version 1.20
• Fixes a crash introduced by the previous update of the application, which happened when opening a CSV document.
Introduced in Version 1.19
• Adds support to transpose the rows and columns. This action is available from "Table" -> "Transpose Rows and Columns" menu item.
• Performance is greatly improved when performing a "Replace All", especially when dealing with tens (or hundreds) of thousands of replacements.
Introduced in Version 1.18
• Enables the selection of non-consecutive rows or columns. Just like other popular editors, simply use Command key to include (or exclude) rows or columns in the selection.
• Adds support to select every nth row or column from the document. This action is available from "Edit" -> "Selective Selection..." menu item
• Adds one more action you can perform on the matches of the Find. This is "Select All Rows Containing Matches" and is available in the find bar (Command + F), by clicking the gear/cogwheel button.
Introduced in Version 1.17
• Fixes an issue where sorting is not working as expected if the cells in the columns you're sorting on contain negative numbers or floating point numbers.
• Fixes an issue where the text from the status bar moves to the right of when you try to copy it.
Introduced in Version 1.16
• Fixes a crash which happened when opening a CSV document which has only one row and that row is set as the header of the CSV.
• Fixes a crash which happened when setting a row to be the header of the document and that row is the only row from the CSV.
Introduced in Version 1.15
• Adds a status bar to the CSV window.
• The left text from the status bar shows the following information: number of rows, columns and cells, either for the entire document or for the selection (when you have selected more than one cell). It also shows the number of cells which are empty and nonempty.
• The right text from the status bar shows a calculation performed on the selected cells. You can choose from the following calculations: Sum, Average, Min, Max, Count Numbers. This calculation is shown only when you have more than one selected cell in the document.
• Both the text from the left and the one from the right are selectable, so you can easily copy and paste the information in other places.
• Adds two more actions you can perform on the matches of the Find: "Cut All Rows Containing Matches", "Copy All Rows Containing Matches". These actions are available in the find bar (Command + F), by clicking the gear/cogwheel button.
Ratings and Reviews
I use Google Sheets for my spreadsheet work because I find it allows me to work more quickly than I can in Excel. But Google Sheets doesn’t handle large files. All of the reports I download have rows and columns that can be eliminated with no significant loss of information, and, once reduced, they can be imported into Google Sheets. That’s what I use Easy CSV for. Easy CSV has handled the largest files I use, and its clean interface and speedy Find, Sort, and Delete functions (compared to Excel) make it a great tool for slimming down unweildy files. An added benefit of paring down the files is that it makes it easier to analyze them visually.
Petezger, thank you for the review and the rating! I'm happy to hear that you like the application and you find it useful. If there is anything else you would like to see in the app, don't hesitate to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Efficient, effective tool for quickly working with CSVs
I work with CSV files a lot when doing data analysis. I often need to quickly open a file, rearrange columns, search/replace values, and so on. Spreadsheet tools like Numbers or Google Sheets are too heavy for these tasks, with UIs overly cluttered for the task at-hand. Easy CSV Editor, on the other hand, lets me quickly and painlessly work with CSV files without getting in the way.
It’s well worth the cost. In fact, I probably saved more many than I paid (in time saved at work) in the first few days of using it.
charliebay, thank you for the review! I’m so glad you find the application useful and it brings value to you. If there is anything that you feel can help even more (and it’s missing), please don’t hesitate to write me at email@example.com
Best app for the job!
I manipulate CSV files all the time. It is painful how bad Excel or Numbers are at the (seemingly simple) task of reading these. They often have useless multi-step import processes, and they refuse to play nice with in place edition—trying to upsell you to “richer” formats. I used to try to visualize things either in emacs, or for sheets with many columns, simply import it in a Python dictionary.
Easy CSV Editor steps to actually serve you, rather than the other way around. I can open a file, view it and close it in 5 seconds. It will be able to accept modifications to the CSV file.
The interface is simple, reactive, and optimized for exactly the kind of tasks you typically have.
I guess my only complaint is I wish I could bulk order this for employees. It is a bit awkward to ask them to buy something on the App Store!
Thanks for your review Jérémie L! I'm really glad you find the application useful. Can you please contact me (via Help -> Send Feedback) to discuss the options of bulk ordering the application.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.