By John Famiglietti
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
EasyRoute is a route planner for outdoor activities like running, biking and walking. It's a big help for determining where to go if you want to cover a certain distance or if you want to know how long a particular route is.
Simply tap where you want to go. It will follow roads and paths while also providing the freedom to route directly where you touch.
EasyRoute was written by a runner looking for a quick and easy way to plan routes using an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. Designed to be easy to use, you are never more than one touch away from viewing, adding or editing a route.
Personally, the author of EastRoute has used this program to:
• Plan long marathon training runs, figuring out how far detours should be and how far to go before looping back so the distance comes out right.
• Plan routes before leaving the house. If a park was closed or a road was blocked, could the same mileage be covered by taking a different road or path?
• Use Street View to ensure there is a safe sidewalk or shoulder before running along a busy street or an unfamiliar area.
• Figure out the distance of a walk to grandma's house (and how much farther to avoid the Big Bad Wolf).
• While traveling, to figure out where to run in order cover a desired distance.
Although the author is primarily a runner, lots of feedback from cyclists and walkers has been incorporated into EasyRoute in the 2+ years it has been available on the App Store.
In case you're not convinced by now, here is a quick rundown of the features that make EasyRoute awesome:
- Create a route by following roads or routing directly to where you touch.
- Drag a portion of the route to include a particular spot.
- Easy to undo so you are free to experiment.
- Tap the elevation button to expand the elevation graph.
- Tap and drag the elevation graph to highlight areas of the route.
- Drag the Street View icon onto the map to look around.
- Import and export GPX files directly to and from other apps.
- Export to MapMyFitness.
- Share routes with other users using AirDrop or e-mail. (AirDrop requires iOS 7 and a compatible device.)
- Route can be reversed, made into an "out and back" or be routed back to start.
- Duplicate and modify a route.
- Works in kilometers or miles.
- Save as many routes as your device can hold. (That is probably a LOT of routes.)
- Correctly utilizes all screen sizes including iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
- Universal iPhone/iPad app.
EasyRoute will not bug you to sign up for anything and there are no ads. The philosophy is simple: if you buy it, you can enjoy it with no constraints or compromises.
Just to be clear, this app does NOT record routes based on your movement or give you directions. (If you want these features, let me know!)
There are still many more tweaks, improvements, features and enhancements planned.
Thanks for reading this far down and considering this little app.
What's New in Version 2.7.1
Just fixes a problem with making an out-and-back
Simple and accurate
I've been using this app for a few years now and I still love it. It is easy to use and create a route. Also gives you the elevation profile as you route. Includes short cuts to create out and backs and close loops. It will also follow roads or trails (provided the trail isn't super new and shows up in non-satellite views, like the bicycle option on certain popular mapping apps) which is what makes the route generation so easy. Great app!
Simple and effective
No unnecessary fluff- makes it super easy to create a route, save it, and export to the fitness app of your choice. I've used it for a few cycling routes when I couldn't get to a computer.
This app has exactly what I want to create new routes. The UI is minimal and that's awesome. It's easy to make, modify and share routes. Really enjoyable to use.