eBird by Cornell Lab of Ornithology
By Cornell University
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
eBird Mobile makes it easy to record the birds you see in the field, and seamlessly link these observations with eBird--a global online database of bird records used by hundreds of thousands of birders around the world. This free resource makes it easy to keep track of what you see, while making your data openly available for scientific research, education, and conservation. eBird Mobile is the only app that passes information directly from the iOS device to your eBird account on the web.
- Enter bird observations from any location around the world.
- Full global taxonomy based on The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World.
- Common names available in local languages (e.g., Portuguese names in Brazil or in Portugal).
- Checklists customized for your location and time of year, showing most likely species based on eBird data.
- Rare species flagged during data entry and on the checklist.
- "Record as you go" functionality for incremental list keeping and counting while birding.
- GPS enabled location plotting to ensure accuracy.
- Map tools that enable selecting from hundreds of thousands of eBird "Hotspots."
- Full offline functionality, enabling use in places with limited or no Internet connection.
- Trip and Day list functionality that makes it easy to keep track of your species list on a particular outing.
- Support for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch.
- Entire app translated to German, Mandarin, French, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Turkish, and Dutch.
What's New in Version 1.5.4
2017 Taxonomy Update
Too many extra clicks
Longtime user, and I like some of the new features, but I am annoyed by all of the extra steps that have been added, and I don't see the reason for them. Maybe you could explain how it is an improvement to add more steps to enter the same information as before? I know it's just a few extra seconds, but it's annoying, so why? I also liked that the old versions said "Review & Submit" before you selected "yes" or "no" and entered all of the correct effort information. Now it says "Submit" on the last page before you select everything, so I forget to hit "yes" or "no" and get the dialog that pops up, so I have to click out of that. 2 more clicks! Please go back to the old way, or explain why I should give these extra steps a chance.
Errors in top 100
I love eBird, but ever since the last update, the info in the top 100 birders for Tulsa county has not been accurate. It dropped my species count from 204 to 203. I noticed that it also dropped the species counts of several others on the top 100 list as well. I haven't checked my status in the other counties where I bird, so I don't know if there are additional errors or not. Hopefully you can address this issue and get it straightened out soon.
Was not helpful
Would not find the locations from my locations list and wouldn't let you upload photos, audio or videos.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Reference
- Updated: Aug 15, 2017
- Version: 1.5.4
- Size: 43.0 MB
- Languages: English, Akan, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swahili, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Seller: Cornell University
- © Cornell University
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.