Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy
By Big Daddy's Creations
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Alliances are shattering, and hasty diplomatic treaties are made in secrecy. A confrontation of the superpowers seems inevitable – only the outcome of the galactic conflict remains to be seen. Which faction will emerge victorious and rule the galaxy?
A game of Eclipse places you in control of a vast interstellar civilization, competing for success with its rivals. You will explore new star systems, research technologies, and build mighty spaceships. There are many potential paths to victory, so you need to plan your strategy considering the strengths and weaknesses of your species, while paying attention to the other civilizations' endeavors.
Eclipse other civilizations and lead your people to victory!
* Official iOS version of the 'Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy' boardgame
* Deep and challenging 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) gameplay
* 7 species with different strengths and weaknesses
* Customizable star systems, technology tree and ship designs
* Up to 6 players (human or AI)
* Asynchronous multiplayer with push notifications
* 3 AI difficulty levels
* In-game tutorial & manual
Eclipse received multiple awards:
* 2011 Charles S. Roberts Best Science-Fiction or Fantasy Board Wargame Nominee
* 2011 Jogo do Ano Nominee
* 2012 Golden Geek Board Game of the Year Winner
* 2012 Golden Geek Golden Geek Best Strategy Board Game Winner
* 2012 International Gamers Award - General Strategy: Multi-player Nominee
* 2012 JoTa Best Gamer Game Audience Award
* 2012 JUG Game of the Year Winner
* 2012 Ludoteca Ideale Winner
* 2012 Lys Passioné Winner
* 2012 Tric Trac Nominee
What's New in Version 1.11
- Game crashes in a bankruptcy area
- Game crashes when selecting a orbital during building
- Added a message with warning about coming bankrupcy
Imperfect but good port
The board game itself is very solid and I highly recommend anyone interested in board games to pick this gem up. It looks like it has a high learning curve, but it's actually not nearly as bad as it seems once you understand the basic mechanics.
As far as the port is concerned, it's generally quite nice with a slick UI and a very clear and concise presentation. The biggest problem I have with it is the general sluggishness. Things like panning the camera and zooming in and out cause the game to stutter, and animations look jagged. This should not be the case on a game that isn't quite so graphically intensive. Also, as other reviewers have pointed out, it can be extremely frustrating to lose your colonies or not trade resources when you accidentally press the wrong button. I guarantee it will happen to you at least once after playing a 1 hr plus game and it will make you very angry. Finally, they need to have a better breakdown screen at the end of the game. It only shows total victory points for each player and it would be really nice if they broke it down by each source (hexes, research bonus, monoliths, etc).
Overall, I really recommend it. Once the gameplay smoothens up little bit and they fix the aforementioned frustrations this will be flawless.
Great for anybody
This is one game I thought would be too much for my brain to process. But it's actually not too complicated. Be brave, try it. It will come in time.
There are a lot of options for what you can research and put on your ships but only certain technologies that are available each round. So this makes it easier because it reduces your options.
I still find the scoring a bit complicated but thankfully it adds it up for you, though I really have no idea if I'm winning or losing in my games til the end. I hope to get better at figuring out how I'm doing.
I do love old school and new XCOM but space games usually aren't my theme because of how space games are usually done with loads of 3d graphics.. But Thanks to this game I might give other turn based space games a try. Though I don't need to now.
I think eclipse will remain one of my favorite games of all time. It really is a perfect snowflake. I think it will be the best space board game on iOS, just a hunch but I think I tried the best first!
If like me you're sitting there worried it will be too much for you and be boring, I urge you to try it. It's really very well done and I don't regret it one bit. One of the best iOS games as well made as carcassonne.
Very fun and entertaining! So much easier than the board game!
I have played probably 10+ games of the board game over the last 2 years, but have played 5 games in 24 hours with this app. This was done very well and is really easy to pick up.
Well be playing this game for weeks to come and would suggest anyone to buy it, especially people who enjoy the board game.
- DO NOT go the menu when playing the tutorial or the game will be lost.
- Cool and well positioned layout.
- Great game to play with friends
- If double hull is always the first upgrades off the board. If you have a chance at picking one up, do it!
- They are kind of dumb. Whenever they sense they are going to lose they buy torpedoes and go all suicidal mode. (4 torpedoes on a dreadnote with no other guns)
- Category: Games
- Updated: Sep 04, 2013
- Version: 1.11
- Size: 158 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Big Daddy's Creations, Wspolnik S.C.
- © 2013 Big Daddy's Creations
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.