Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Editorial is a plain text editor for iOS with powerful automation tools and a beautiful inline preview for Markdown, TaskPaper, and Fountain documents.
* Inline Markdown/Fountain Preview – With Editorial's subtle syntax highlighting, you can see your document's formatting immediately while you're writing. And when you need a full HTML preview, it's just a swipe away.
* Extensible with Workflows and Scripts – Select from over 50 text processing actions to create your own workflows for extending Editorial's feature set. For even more advanced automation, you can write Python scripts with an integrated code and UI editor.
* Dropbox Sync – The sync folder is customizable, so you can easily edit your documents with multiple apps.
* Smart Keyboard – The extended keyboard was specifically designed for writing Markdown and includes all the special characters you need. You can also control the cursor with simple swipe gestures.
* Snippets – Quickly insert frequently-used pieces of text by typing abbreviations. Snippets can include dynamic text, e.g. the current date or clipboard contents. TextExpander™ snippets are also supported.
* In-App Browser – If you need to do some quick research while writing, you don't have to leave the app for that. You can even open multiple tabs.
* "Folding" allows you to quickly hide individual sections of your document while you're writing.
*** *** ***
“It would be hard to imagine a better editor, let alone recommend one that actually exists.” — The Verge
“This is it. Editorial sets a new standard for third-party iOS automation, and, for me, there’s no going back.” — Federico Viticci, MacStories
“Editorial just reinvented iOS text editing.” — Merlin Mann
What's New in Version 1.2.1
* Fixed various crashes on iOS 7
* New "Sync with Dropbox" workflow action
From the developer of Pythonista. That was the reason for me buy this app. It turned out to be the most useful feature of my phone. With x-callback-urls from Launch Center Pro (now displayed in Today view in Notification Center) linked to workflows in Editorial I can log anything anytime in no time! Editorial also supports x-callback, it can start other apps as well. It has Python interpreter built-in, with console & UI module written specially for iOS console, and the offline documentation. You can save files as plain text, or with Markdown formatting - Editorial has sort of syntax highlighting and HTML preview. It supports TaskPaper and Fountain, both of which I found out about thanks to this app. Text editing is simplified with top row of special symbols, swiping on which moves the cursor. Dropbox sync ensures that you always have the latest version of every file and a copy of it is stored safely in the cloud. Or you can use your local storage only.
The developer is very friendly and helpful, - when I had a question he responded within hours. He is definitely not greedy - the app is universal for both iPhone and iPad. In the years of using his apps none of them ever crashed or lost its data.
I've looked at more productivity apps than I'd like to admit, and decided that this one is worth the investment of learning how to use it, instead of an easier app. Because it bends to you instead of forcing you to bend to the app.
There's two things that are drawbacks. 1. My phone and ipad versions aren't syncing and so far I haven't been able to figure out why. 2. I wish I could insert pictures info the text. I know technically it's a text document, but it allows linking to images, so instead of changing it from a text editor, they could display the linked images on the text as part of the app interface, without polluting the text document.
Great for Markdown
A few years ago there were tons of highly rated text editors for iOS. Many of those popular apps have been abandoned. I was looking for a modern iOS app that worked on iPhones and iPads but could also sync with my desktop. This app does.
The template and snippet system is amazing. If you have TextExpander it allows for even more complex snippets. I've found that paired with a travel keyboard I'm actually able to produce blog ready Markdown faster than I could on my desktop.
This app is one of my best app store finds and now lives on my iPad's home screen.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Jun 25, 2015
- Version: 1.2.1
- Size: 57.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Ole Zorn
- © 2015 omz:software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.