By Blake eLearning
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Eggy Words 250 is an application designed to help children recognise and learn sight words. Sight words are words that readers should know automatically “at sight”, such as he, the, was and where. This app covers the first 250 sight words using a fun and motivating game to keep kids learning.
Learning to read is an important milestone in every child’s life. Knowing these sight words makes fluent reading easier, which lets the brain focus on the real enjoyment of reading – comprehension – understanding and enjoying what you read.
Eggs Words 250 is brought to you by the team behind the popular educational website Reading Eggs. Developed by educators with more than 20 years experience, the program comes highly recommended by parents and teachers worldwide.
- 10 levels with 25 words in each, making a total of 250 sight words.
- First 4 levels are unlocked
- Fun and motivating game suitable for children aged 3+ years
- Most common, highest frequency words are introduced first
- Multisensory approach - combining voice and written words
- Choice of accents – Australia, English, United States
- Flying eggs with the correct word to be swiped
- 3 lives per level
- Lives are lost when bad eggs, distractions and wrong words are swiped
- Mini eggs provide extra lives
- Jigsaw eggs build a surprise jigsaw
- The word is spelt at the end of each lesson
- Egg ratings to be earned for every level
- Egg critters with unique animations hatch at the end of a level
- Bonus level with 100 golden eggs
- Trophies earned for completing 25 levels
What's New in Version 1.2
Updated for iOS7 compatibility.
My son is 7 and likes this game, but it's not his favorite. This game has the student tap the chosen word they are learning printed on colored Easter eggs that leap and fall across the screen. "Obstacles" are in the form of words the child isn't looking for, rotten eggs, frying pans, pigs, etc. If they click the wrong egg or object, they lose one "life" (a green smiley face in the upper right hand corner). They can earn extra "lives" if they click on an egg imprinted with smiley faces. As the level progresses, the eggs come faster and some are smaller.
After successfully completing a level choosing the chosen word, the next level has the child spelling the same word from letters on Easter eggs delivered in the same way with the same obstacles. Letters must be chosen in the correct order, of course, and the letters are displayed after being chosen on the bottom of the screen. This helps reinforce both the reading and the spelling of the sight word.
This is a great way for a child to learn to read sight words.
The only downside I see is that although there are 3 different menu options for the child, they all play exactly the same game, although there are different sight words available on level one of each game.
We are homeschoolers and use this company's program, Reading Eggs. This app is a fun way to sometimes back up what he learns on Reading Eggs.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Education
- Updated: Oct 16, 2013
- Version: 1.2
- Size: 56.7 MB
- Languages: English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Seller: Blake eLearning Pty Ltd
- © 2012 Blake eLearning Pty Ltd
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.