By Dotmatics Limited
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Elemental from Dotmatics the FREE Chemistry Sketch Utility
Elemental is now a Universal App that support iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch.
Elemental is the Dotmatics chemistry sketch utility provided at no charge within many Dotmatics products. We are happy to provide this as a FREE app on the iTunes store.
- Tap to draw chemical structures
- Calculate cheminformatics properties
- Tweet a Molecule!
- Dropbox upload support & file association back from the Dropbox App
- Open MOL/RXN files from E-mails (tap and hold an attachment)
- Copy images to camera roll/clipboard
- Double tap to undo
- Sketch chemical reactions
- Built-in Periodic Table
- Email your structure as a MOL/RXN file and PNG image
- Emails also contain MW, MolFormula and predicted LogP
Draw molecules with ease!
Suggestions are really welcome at this time. We intend to add a heap of features over the coming months and to keep this app FREE.
What's New in Version 1.8
- Interface tweak for iOS 7
- iOS 7 update
- Elemental drawing bug fixes
- Property prediction bug fixes
- iPhone 5 support
- Updated predicted properties engine
- YouTube video link for introduction to the app
- App size reduces from 8MB to 1MB(!)
- Dropbox and Twitter Integration
- Calculated Properties Panel
- Rate Elemental Button! Love Elemental? Please rate us!
- Follow us on Twitter button - @ElementalApp
- Full Retina Display Support
- File association improved
- Sketched molecules persist over restarts
- Copy image to Camera Roll
- Copy Image to Clipboard
- File association (tap and hold to load in Elemental)
- E-mail attachments have been improved
- support for multi-centre bonds added
- Multitouch gesture support
Undo - double tap
Zoom - pinch
Scroll - two finger drag
- E-mails now export a reaction/RXN file if the sketch contains an arrow
- MOL file e-mails contain predicted molecular properties: MW, MolFormula, XLogP
- Add text notes into your sketch
- Now compatible with iOS 5.0 and up
- E-mailing of images has been improved
- Larger icons
An amazing tool! A few fixes and additions needed.
This is an excellent little tool for learning about molecules or simply playing around. I can finally figure out if it's possible to make Boron-based proteins!
MUCH NEEDED: The ability to delete custom molecules from molecule list, and the option for partial bonds and three-center two-electron bonds.
MUST BE FIXED: I saved three molecules successfully. I tried to save more, and at first they were saved, but then I closed the app and opened it later and they were gone. It has been doing this since.
Let me start with the positive: only free app and it can draw some basic molecules ok. Manipulating parts is frustrating. The drop down menus are very unresponsive. I would like to see a polymer chain capability and also ability to show C in some bonds (e.g. the isocyanate group). I can use with some patience.
An Amazing Sketch Utility
What an extraordinary surprise! Hoping to find an app that would allow one to "sketch" molecular structures, I stumbled upon Elemental. After watching the short video tutorial I was able to easily start using the app and learning the ins and outs of its functionality. It didn't take long before I was able to sketch a decent looking triglyceride structure having sixty-three atoms . . . on my iPhone! There are built in functional groups including a variety of carbon rings having straight carbon, or carbon-nitrogen or carbon-oxygen atoms. You can easily replace any atom using a common atom set, but the app offers the functionality to add any element in the periodic table by typing in the atomic symbol. You can rotate groups of atoms or functional groups to improve your sketch. There are configuration options the allow the user to: display atom numbers, warn when valence is exceeded, and display tips. The app allows the standard iPhone zoom in and zoom out functionality. You can easily add or modify a charge number for any atom. There are undo and redo options if you make a mistake. You can save your work as an image, add it to Dropbox or email it. I could go on, but will summarize by attesting that this app allowed me to do exactly what I wanted in a very short period of time. There were no crashes or unexpected behavior. The interface is clean and well built. You will be happy with Elemental if you need to sketch any structure seen in an organic chemistry class. Well done Dotmatics. You've hit this one out of the park!
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Apr 03, 2014
- Version: 1.8
- Size: 1.6 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Dotmatics Limited
- © Dotmatics Limited
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.