By Ripside LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Let your imagination run free with our mysterious red neighboring planet. A quick and fun way to learn about Martian terrain from its deepest canyon to the highest planetary peak in the solar system. Create and share stunning imagery from any angle and location, color and elevation exaggeration. Familiarize yourself with the Martian globe to the extent that you can point out features to others unaided.
• High-resolution 3D topographic model of Mars.
• Use simple gestures to control zoom, pan, rotation and tilt of your Mars view.
• Create stunning images from any angle and zoom.
• Choose from a variety of color schemes to provide impressive renderings of any part of the surface of Mars.
• Color schemes include
⁃ Satellite imagery, actual NASA satellite imagery
⁃ Yellow, dusty array of colors
⁃ Red, layers of colors in the red range
⁃ Vivid, strong colors with lots of contrast
⁃ Layers, many different color ranges that show off
⁃ Terra form, colors that imitate what would happen as the planet was being terraformed
• Tour over 80 important features including Landing sites, Mountains, Canyons, Craters, Plains. Also with over 1000 other labeled locations.
• Use the exaggeration option to increase difference between the high and low points on Mars. This exaggeration helps to emphasize the true beauty and extremes of the terrain on a planetary scale.
• Use the info window to display the imaginary amount of water area and volume on Mars and watch it change dynamically as you alter the water level.
• Adjust an imaginary sea level and amount of water on Mars, watching it flood or drain areas of the terrain based on its elevation.
• Share your high resolution imagery with friends via email, messaging, Facebook etc.
• Direct link to Wikipedia information about the current location.
• Help documentation included in app.
• Full 3D navigation - View Mars from any angle.
• Choose from a number of color palettes.
• Display satellite imagery.
• Control the colors displayed at different elevations.
• Increase and decrease the exaggeration of the elevation.
• Show how Mars would look with water from the Earth's oceans and seas.
• Learn about the water held in Ice and Rock.
Visually interesting, but vapid
This has a lot of promise. The ability to display topographic info and simulate different water levels is interesting and fun.
But: There's no explanation of the different projections other than they have different colors, the elevation exaggeration is nonsensical (I don't want to exaggerate it, I want to see Mars as it really is), the color display slider is mystifying, the font is clunky, and the way topographic projections disappear when the image is being moved is distracting and odd.
Needs more work. Don't buy this in its current version.
Wow! Always been into Mars but this makes it so much fun
You have to check this app out! Graphics are really cool in 3D. The exaggeration of the elevation and colors make it so much clearer. With the color control you can pick you own colors and get some awesome images. Learn the feature names and watch as you flood with water from the oceans of the Earth. Whether you know much about Mars or just want to learn, I have to recommend this app. Enjoy!
Especially the ability to scale the topographic exaggeration or to disable it. I love being able to change your perspective all the way down to the surface and to look across Mars to it's far horizon.
For the literal users, a few additional sentences in thew help probably would be good for them. Now to go check out their Moon app. :-)
- Category: Education
- Released: Jun 06, 2014
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 125 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Ripside LLC
- © Ripside LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.