E-Mission is an app that allows you to track your travel modes and your travel carbon footprint, and compare them against our other users.
This app has been developed by students from the Computer Science and Transportation Engineering departments at UC Berkeley, and is used for studies conducted by transportation researchers, focusing primarily on sustainable transportation.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
Therefore, we automatically turn the GPS off if you are not moving. This reduces the battery drain caused by location tracking significantly - our tests show that this app results in 10 - 20% additional drain over 24 hours.
If this is still unacceptably high, you can switch to medium accuracy tracking, which should result in ~ 5% additional drain.
For more details on the power/accuracy tradeoff, please see our Technical Report.
This is an Open Source project that is available on github under an BSD license.
If you would like to see exactly what data we collect and how we analyze it, check our repos
For more details on the implementation of when we turn tracking on and off, please see the source code for our finite state machine.
We welcome contributions and pull requests.
Thank you for helping us better understand the carbon footprint of transportation, and how to reduce it!
- Fix native versions of plugins (auth, deploy)
- Migrate storage to avoid loss of data due to deletion of local storage
- Remove the starting stop screen - studies should just use emTripLog instead
Ratings and Reviews
This app shows me my carbon footprint and calories burn.
- Kalyanaraman Shankari
- 116.8 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © "2014,2015,2016, 2017, 2018 e-mission contributors"
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.