By gandreas software
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Brainwave entrainment is any practice that aims to cause brainwave frequency to fall into step with a periodic stimulus having
a frequency corresponding to the intended brain-state (for example, to induce sleep). It depends upon a "frequency following" response,
a naturally occurring phenomenon where the human brain has a tendency to change its dominant EEG frequency towards the frequency of a
dominant external stimulus.
Entrainment is a program for the iPhone/iPod Touch that allows you to explore these techniques, using one of the twenty built in programs, or, best of all, editing and creating your own (allowing you to experiment to determine which techniques works the best for you).
- Support for multiple entrainment techniques, including Binaural Beats, Monaural Beats, Isochronic Tones/Noise, and Panning Tones/Noise, as well as background "synthetic surf".
- Includes both stereo (headphone) effects as well as monaural effects not requiring headphones.
- Programs can be either a simple, single setting, or change over time (changing volume, pitch, "beat", balance).
- Support for up to six separate tracks in a program.
Don't be stuck following programs that somebody else creates - explore your own!
What's New in Version 1.1.1
Bug fixes :
- fixed problem of being unable to edit more than three tracks in a program
- fixed invalid frequency/beat problem in "Sleep Induction, from Wide Awake" program
Good interface, sound is a tad rough
The interface has the essential controls for all of the sounds, and there's a decent little variety of options in the sounds. However I've noticed that the sound volume does not ramp well. There are jumps between levels, and in the middle of a meditation a sudden change can be very disconcerting. If you're using this at a very low volume (I mean REALLY low) or at a steady pitch and volume level, great, but the sound needs to fade smoothly rather than jumping between different levels of volume and pitch.
Best in class
This includes numerous useful presets, but the real value is the ability to build your own, experiment, and adjust. The interface takes some getting used to (RTFM), and the options won't mean much to you if you don't know some theory already, but the versatility is extraordinary. I feel like I'm making works of art within this app.
Nice but some flaws
The interface for editing programs can be a bit tricky but is ok. My big complaint is that this app consistently but randomly alters the volume level on my iPhone and produces VERY loud tones when first launched. We are talking ear-splitting. I do not have this problem with any other audio application. So, I have to make sure my earphones aren't in when I start playing a program or else I end up with ringing ears (sometimes). Very annoying.
- Category: Health & Fitness
- Updated: Oct 13, 2009
- Version: 1.1.1
- Size: 0.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Glenn Andreas
- © 2008 gandreas software
Compatibility: Requires iOS 2.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.