By Eigenlogik LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Easily create, open and preview popular archive files like ZIP, RAR, 7z, TGZ and more ( 30+ formats supported ).
An unparalleled feature set makes Entropy the ultimate archiving app:
• EXTRACT all major archive formats
• CREATE highly compressed archives with easy
• PROTECT your data using industrial strength encryption
• PREVIEW files inside an archive without extracting it - as easily as Finder
• MODIFY existing archives - no need to extract and re-archive files anymore
• CUSTOMIZE Entropy via detailed preference options
• BUILT-IN Password Manager.
• FILTER out unnecessary files that clutter archives ( like .DS_Store )
• SCRIPTING support for power users via AppleScript + Python for automating tasks
• DUAL-MODE: switch between auto-extract and content-view modes.
Designed for OS X
Entropy has been designed specifically for your Mac. It supports OS X specific technologies like extended file attributes and resource forks, which are often missing in other archives.
Equal attention has been paid to aesthetics, usability and technology while developing Entropy.
Entropy directly reads and writes archives, unlike most other archivers for Mac which are simply "front-ends". The end result is that Entropy is often discernibly faster.
If you ever have any problems with Entropy, just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll help you solve it - fast!
What's New in Version 1.6.0
- Bug fixes for OS X 10.9 (Mavericks).
- Fixed issues with RAR v5 archives.
- Fixed a bug that could lead to symbolic links being stored as regular files in RAR archives.
- Fixed issues with Quick Look previews.
- Fixed a bug that could lead to file modes being ignored for tar archives.
Very good application
I have used this application for a year or so and have not had any issues with it. The feature set is quite good with support for AppleScript, being a big plus. I also use BetterZip and find the two products very similar. BetterZip has the ability to manage archive passwords, which is quite useful. It, however does not have any support for AppleScript. One feature that I wish one of them offered is an Automator add-in. I have not tested Entropy under OSX Yosemite, but assume it works. There would likely be comments by now if not.
This gotta be the BEST un/archiver for the Mac!
Finally my search has ended. I have tried quite a few un/archiver apps but none of them really had the features (and the nice UI) I was looking for. Until I finally came across this app. Really well designed, nice UI, multiple archive support. I love the preview feature and the fact that I can just easily update/modify the contents of the packaged files without extracting the archive first, then just save the modification right back. TOP NOTCH APP!
Nice UI, except impossible to figure out how to encrypt.
Uh, how do you encrypt? Your website says “powerful crypto”? Apparently I have to email support to figure out how to use it? App used to prompt upon save. No longer does.
Also, 90% of the time I compress with this app other mac users can’t open the file using the default OSX unzip. Needs an option for, “compress for the rest of the world that doesn’t have this or another decent zip app”.