Environments is a historic catalog of long form field recordings created for the way you live. Whether you need to work, meditate, sleep, or any other use, Environments is the only ambient sound app based on extended recordings created in the 1960s and 70s on analog tape. Environments began as an unprecedented series of vinyl records, garnering widespread acclaim and selling millions of units. Now Environments steps into the mobile age as an invaluable and unique sonic tool for the way YOU live.
• No internet connection required — all recordings are part of the app.
• 22 fully remastered long-form analog recordings, most 30 minutes or more. Not short loops, not white noise — Environments live and breathe like nature itself.
• Simple, intuitive navigation. Unobtrusive, ad-free look and feel evokes a simpler, better time.
• Put your favorite environment on infinite loop, or build your own playlist of favorites.
• Blocks distractions, increases focus and mindfulness, reduces stress, helpful with tinnitus and fussy babies.
• Sounds include ocean waves, birdsongs and dawn chorus, chimes, "be-in", thunderstorms, gentle rain, heartbeat, wind in trees, wordless choir, summer cornfield, creaky sailboat, country stream, country meadow, blizzard, and many more.
• Features informative biography of Environments creator Irv Teibel, along with concise informational screens on individual recordings.
• A co-creation of Syntonic Research, Inc and the Grammy-nominated reissue label Numero Group.
• "The music of the future isn't music." -- Irv Teibel
Restored missing screen from one time app intro
Ratings and Reviews
Amazing analog nature recordings from the 60s and 70s for those much needed moments of calm.
I stumbled upon one of these records at a thrift shop a few years ago and was immediately addicted and went on a hunt for more. Having tried just about every nature sound and white noise generating app there is, I still haven't found anything remotely comperable to these records in selection, sound quality, and effectiveness; Only one of these albums was formerly avaliable online and I figured I had to be tethered to my stereo back home to be able to hear the 'Tintinabulation' and 'New Hope Dawn' tracks which, for whatever reason, work like magic for my concentration. A few suggestions: one thing that made the records so awesome was that, by adjusting the pitch and speed of the record (i.e. from 33 to 45rpm), it would give you an entirely different, equally efficacious, sound experience and prevent anything from getting monotonous. A speed up/slow down function would emulate this perfectly and be an awesome addition. Also, a sleep timer/alarm function would be amazing. To fall asleep to the sounds of a summer night and wake up to those of birds chirping on a spring morning would be amazing. Thank you SO much for creating this amazing app and bringing these records to the mainstream.
THE app for relaxation and sleep assistance
If you’re like me, silence is deafening. I can’t fall asleep at night without some sort of white noise/sfx type thing playing. During the day, i need the same sorts of thing to quiet my mind. This is the best app of its kind, hands down.
Besides having hours and hours of beautiful, natural sounding audio recordings of unique and varied environments (hence the name of the app), as well as a few new age and proto ambient pieces, the interface is dead simple to use. Make playlists of your favorite sound recordings (each one over 30 minutes long), play any one recording on a loop, and get the background behind this unique collection of recordings (all made on analog equipment back in the ‘70s). All that and more for one low price, paid one time, and then you have an ad-free app to enjoy for as long as you’d like. I cannot recommend this app enough!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.