eQuake® is an earthquake early-warning app developed by Zizmos®. It uses a network of seismic sensors to detect earthquakes. When an earthquake occurs, the Zizmos servers send the user an early-warning notification that alerts the user of expected shaking in the area. The ability to detect earthquakes and provide alerts is dependent on the number of sensors in the Zizmos network.
Another feature of eQuake® is its capability to use your phone as a sensor which contributes to the Zizmos earthquake warning system improving the coverage of seismic detection. The sensor mode only works when the device is charging and connected to a Wi-Fi network.
The app provides other features that give the user useful earthquake information.
- Early detection of earthquakes and early warning of shaking expected in the area. Users in an affected area are notified via push notification that an earthquake has occurred, and shaking is expected, granting the user potentially crucial advanced warning.
- A map of recent earthquakes that have occurred worldwide which uses USGS databases for the latest information.
- An earthquake early-warning simulator feature. Allows the user to simulate Zizmos® earthquake alerts on the phone using historical earthquakes in the vicinity of the current location.
- A map displaying the geographical distribution of sensors around the world.
- Seismometer feature which displays motion detected.
Continued use of GPS running in the background can decrease battery life.
- small fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Learn from my fail..
I was waiting for my kindergartener to be released from school for the day, along with the other parents that were also waiting for their kindergarteners. I was exploring the app and noticed the 'simulator' button. I pressed play. To my horror, my phone played a demonstration of the warning: "EARTHQUAKE! EARTHQUAKE! Shaking expected in seven seconds! EARTHQUAKE! EARTHQUAKE! Shaking expected in three seconds!" All the other parents heard the warning and began looking for cover as I'm shouting "NO EARTHQUAKE, we are fine-it's an early earthquake warning app on my phone, no shaking is expected..I'm so sorry, it's just a simulator.." On the plus side, a few parents ended up downloading the app so there's that..
Not sure yet
But I'll try it for a while .. hope it doesn't drain my battery too much. Seems like a good idea. Hope it really works. Scared of getting an actual alert. Yikes 😧
Sometimes the app won't open. So I have to delete it then download it again.
- Zizmos, Inc.
- 7.6 MB
- Requires iOS 8.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015 Zizmos Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.