Equanimity - Meditation Timer & Tracker
By Robin Barooah
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
As featured on NPR's "All Tech Considered" - 12th March 2013
"It's a great timer with super extras. I recommend it highly." - TUAW Review, 26th July 2010
Note: This version is iOS7 compatible. A free update with upgraded design is coming soon.
Equanimity has been very carefully designed to help you establish and maintain a daily meditation practice.
The elegant meditation timer times your sittings, provides a beautiful journal for sitting notes, and displays graphical tracking giving you clear feedback on your meditation practice. It's carefully designed to be the ideal companion for anyone who meditates.
The journal is comparable in quality to many standalone note-taking apps. It allows you to optionally take notes after your sittings, and lets you browse through your meditation history as either a visually annotated log or textual journal. All of your recorded data can be exported, as a nicely formatted email that you can print, or as a table that you can load into a spreadsheet. You can also email individual entries - useful for posting them on a blog.
Easy to read graphics let you know at a glance how regularly you are meditating, and how long your daily practice has been going. A chart illustrates your progress over the course of the year, and a bar graph shows the total number of hours you have meditated.
To remind you if you forget to sit, the application icon optionally counts the number of days since you last meditated.
It's much easier to keep going with a routine when you can see so clearly how you are doing.
The timer shows time passing using clean graphics that let you see at a glance where you are within your sitting period without being unduly distracted.
If your meditation routine incorporates different stages within a single sitting, you can set chimes to ring at the appropriate points using straightforward controls.
You can turn off the ringer and the gongs will still sound, so you don't need to worry about being interrupted by phone calls or SMS. If you need to attend to a message briefly, you can carry on from where you left off. For people whose meditation practice involves chants or prayer, you can also switch to other apps and the timer will still run and the chimes will still ring.
Because the timer is intended to be used every day, the design provides a calm and clear experience without unnecessary clutter.
This application has helped me to make meditation a daily practice, and I hope it can do the same for you.
Customer Service: if you are considering leaving a poor review, please contact me to see if I can help you first. I reply to every single customer email.
• Icon Badge reminders - counts the days since you last sat. (IOS 4) (NEW)
• Works in background on devices that support multitasking. (NEW)
• Easily log meditations not timed using your iPhone (at a class or retreat etc). (NEW)
• Swipe to delete existing log entries. (NEW)
• Option to set time in 1 minute increments (NEW)
• Long sitting options for open-ended sessions (NEW)
• Simple and inviting visual design
• Clear visual illustration of elapsed time
• Optional screen blanking to save power
• Configurable sitting time
• Optional interval chimes, equally spaced or repeats of a fixed interval
• Configurable preparation time & cool down time
• Gongs sound even with ringer switched off
• Tracks continuous runs of daily practice
• Chart showing meditation levels across the year
• Bar graph displaying total practice hours
• Recent practice indicator showing how frequently you sit
• Graceful handling of interruptions (SMS, Phone)
• Pleasant gong tone
• iPod music can play in background
• Easy note entry after sittings
• Log of individual sittings
• Graphics showing runs of sittings within list
• Note preview list
• Note editing
• Export individual notes by email
• Export all notes as a clean, readable document
• Export complete log with notes as Excel compatible CSV
• Full support for the iPhone 4 Retina Display
What's New in Version 2.2.4
Bug fixes to sound handling to accommodate changes in iOS 5.1.1:
• Sounds now work again with the mute switch in either position, so you can turn the ringer off to minimize distractions.
• The sound volume is now set in the App and doesn't rely on the ringer volume to be turned up.
• Power utilization when the screen is allowed to dim is further reduced.
An excellent timer without distractions
...so many meditation timer apps provide soothing ambient music and/or backgrounds with serene or new age themes. Those features distract you from the actual purpose of meditating. You need to clear your mind and learn to observe, but not participate in your thoughts. Adding objects and sound will only complicate your practice.
This app provides the basics and yet delivers depth through it's timer options. It will chime when you start your practice and at each intervals you set to help your refocus your silent practice or signal the start of additional forms of meditation like chanting or walking.
The design is elegant and friendly to use. Which allows you to focus on your practice rather the app itself.
Best, but time for tweaks
Best app out there with room for improvement. I agree it would help to be able to define our "day" so meditation after midnight can count on the day we wish. Also, it would help to have a clock we can see at the Start page so we know when setting the timer what we have time for without exiting the app. Finally, the option to keep track of frequency beyond "daily" up to 3-4x a day would give advanced meditators much more information about our practice. Many thanks!!
Helped my meditation practice
I found that the app's design (tracking longest and current run of uninterrupted days in which I meditated) served as a gentle reminder and motivator that truly helped keep me meditating regularly. At this point meditation is part of my daily routine.
Raving about a meditation app seems contradictory. That said, this app has served me well and gently kept my practice on track. That's more than I could reasonably hope for.