Equity Maps – Classrooms, Groups, & Meetings
By David Nelson
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Chart & record the interaction of students or colleagues to measure & graphically illustrate levels & types of participation. The instant analytics & animated playback at multiple speeds will help spur discussion & engage everyone in deeper reflection!
Effortlessly trace and assess your students' interaction, performance, and involvement! Classroom discussions, meeting debriefs, & post-observations will never be the same again!
With EquityMaps®, you can promote wider collaboration, engage students, and nurture reflection of teachers and students alike.
Track the nature of each participants' contributions with CheckNotes, available in the Premium version--gain access to 17 templates or create your own.
REFLECTIVE DATA AT YOUR FINGERTIPS:
• Simply tap on the participants’ icons when they speak and Equity Maps will do the rest by visually charting the interactions and calculating levels of participation for your group or class.
• “Playback” the diagram of interactions among participants in real time or in fast forward mode at various speeds.
• Use the record audio function and access selectable playback of individual participants to review your class or meeting—powerful for taking audio notes, or for reflecting on the dialogue of the group.
• The “Feedback Frames” provide key statistics for teachers, students or group members:
-Display statistics of total time and frequency spoken for all participants.
-Measure involvement based on gender within the class or group.
-View statistics of shared time and involvement.
-Premium Version - Quickly see characteristics of each participant's actions with Check Notes.
• Enhance your Socratic Seminars, Literature Circles, group discussions, Harkness discussions, or full classroom discussions.
• Monitor & assess Common Core Speaking and Listening Standards, ATL, or seminar criteria.
• Promote student involvement and self-reflection.
• Easily assess student participation and now even the nature of their contributions.
FACILITATORS AND GROUP LEADERS:
• Encourage deeper reflection of your group’s goals, norms and processes.
• Equity Maps is ideal for your collaborative work:
- Critical Friends Group® coaches & facilitators (CFG work)
- Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)
- Collaborative groups and committees
ADMINISTRATORS AND INSTRUCTIONAL COACHES:
• Provide teachers with a visual perspective of their classroom instruction like they’ve never seen before!
• Revitalize reflective practices for teachers, present objective data to improve the scope and reduce anxiety of post-observation meetings.
• Make your classroom observations truly more meaningful and reflective.
• Gather objective data and access the “Feedback Frames” for deeper discussions about instructional practices, student involvement and classroom equity.
• Quickly set-up your class or meeting.
• Add up to 40 participants in each group with the Premium Version!
• Customize your own class layout in “class mode”—circles or semicircles.
• Show participants the flow of the meeting, discussion, or lesson.
• Select from a variety of table arrangements.
• Save classes and groups for easy access.
• 17 Checknote Templates to choose from in the Premium Version!
“It was like looking into the mirror, except the image was my lesson and it showed me more than words could tell.” –High School Teacher
At Equity Maps we believe that true collaboration is possible only when diverse groups of people come together in dialogue to inquire, create, problem solve, and innovate!
EquityMaps® is a registered trademark at the USPTO.
Critical Friends Group® is a registered trademark of the National School Reform Faculty (NSRF®)
What's New in Version 2.0.0
Standard Version - Up to 20 Participants
Added Functionality to Delete & Edit
Premium Version Available with In-App Purchase:
Up to 40 Participants
CheckNotes- Track Characteristics of Participants
17 CheckNote Templates
Create Custom Template
Additional data in Feedback Frames
Socratic Seminar rocked - will use for small groups.
I borrowed this app to use with my class - when I projected the stats w/n the feedback frames, the students were glued to the screen. "Koastas, look how much you spoke!" said one student; "I wanted to say more but didn't have a chance," said another. Will add Equity Maps to the other iPads in class and let the students chart their small breakout group discussions and I will be able to listen after. This will free them up to have their own space, but also allow me to see where they are at with their understanding of the text. Looking forward to seeing what you add next. Would be great to be able to share the report frames.
Added feedback when coaching colleagues.
The new Checknotes function is a great addition for the school year. Tracking types of questions asked in class provides specific feedback to colleagues as we work to improve formative assessment practices.
Excellent addition to my toolbox!
This Checknote feature will be perfect for our intermediate teachers as their students work in literature circles. Can't wait to share it when school starts. Thanks for hearing our suggestions.