The ESV Bible app was designed to be the most beautiful and intuitive Bible app available. The app includes free resources such as interactive reading plans, audio streaming, and free access to the ESV Global Study Bible.
• Read. Dig into God's Word via an elegant interface designed specifically for mobile devices. Quick access to cross-references, split-screen reading, and an innovative reader’s mode make it easy to engage with God’s Word on a deeper level.
• Study. Read the ESV Global Study Bible alongside the biblical text for free. Create a free account to access additional in-app study resources for a limited time.
• Audio. Stream a free audio reading of any passage (internet connection required).
• Reading Plans. Start an interactive Bible reading plan and track your progress.
• Search. Search the Bible by reference, keyword, or phrase with lightning speed.
• Write. Capture your ideas and reflections while listening to a sermon or during Bible study in personal notes attached to specific passages.
• Highlight. Highlight and bookmark favorite verses with just two taps.
• Sync. Sync your highlighted verses and personal notes with ESV.org—giving you access to all of your content from any browser.
• Share. Share verses with friends and family via text message, email, Facebook, and Twitter.
• Apple Watch. Interact with God’s Word on your wrist with integrated reading plan support, custom reminders, audio, and more.
- Fixed a number of crashes that could happen while the app was in the background.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to view Reading Plans would result in a black screen.
- Fixed a bug for iPad where sharing a verse adding a note from the verse selection tooltip was not working.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app but...
I love this app. I love that I can get my ESV Study Bible notes on it. I love that it has my ESV Gospel Transformation Bible notes in it as well. I love the aesthetic appeal...I just looks simple and classy. It would have 5 stars except that the reading plan section is a mess. It is fine if you only read what you are supposed to read that day. However if you read ahead it tends to forget my check marks. If you get behind it’s hard to know how much behind you are. And the audio reading feature is almost un-usable in the reading plan section as it messes everything up...boxes get checked off that shouldn’t be, it reads sections not in the plan, it crashes occasionally, etc.
I’m currently reading the ESV Study Bible plan and there is no way to tell what day I’m supposed to be on because each day’s reading shows only the current day’s date, not the day you should have read a particular set of passages.
Could you please give some attention to the reading plan section? It is such a big part of my day, and if it can’t stay on track I don’t know if I can continue to use this app. Also, I’m happy to financially support good apps so if there is a way we as your users can help you make this app better please let us know. Thank you for all your hard work so far!!!!
Crisp, clean, and would be my favorite.
I absolutely love the format and crispness of this app. It is elegantly done and a joy to use aesthetically, and would be my favorite Bible app. The only reason for less than 5 stars is that it has not kept up in recent years. It still has no support for iPhone X/XS screens, and I’ve pretty much stopped using it because of not being able to take advantage of my phone’s screen real estate compared to, say, You Version (which I find too “busy” otherwise, which makes me especially sorry not to have this ESV app updated!).
Crossway has been doing such an excellent job. Their Bibles overall — particularly their recent attention to formatting, printing and binding in their higher-end editions — is very, very welcome in Bible publishing and I love what they have been offering and the risks they have been taking to improve quality in the reading experience. I just wish this app got a little more of the love and care they have been putting into their physical products. The app already has such a strong foundation and just needs a little nudge forward.
The ESV app was great in the early years. Seems, as of late that it isn’t getting much attention from developers. Couple problems have persisted for more than a year. These two changes having to do with the Bible reading plan interface would greatly improve this app for daily users.
One, the Bible reading plan of choice has to be reopened and reselected from a scrolling list of plans every day, and, even if you are moving around in and out of it on the day of use.
Two, if you’re in a reading plan and go to use audio, the audio scrolling will not maintain the reading plan sequence. Instead it reverts to the book of the Bible of which that chapter is a part. It would be an improvement if audio would scroll through the entire reading plan for the day, moving seamlessly through each chapter selection.
- 69.9 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2014 Crossway
- In-App Purchases
- ESV Study Bible $17.99
- ESV Gospel Transformation Bible $14.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.