Ethernet Status adds the missing icon in status bar to indicate the connection status of the ethernet interface on MacOS similar to WIFI status. WIFI status has an icon built in MacOS, but there is none for ethernet status.
Ethernet Status adds a simple icon to the status bar to show the connection status of the ethernet interface. Bonus - Know IP address and interface name on the dropdown menu.
Salient features -
1. Supports multiple ethernet interfaces if available
2. Dynamically monitors ethernet connectivity change and updates the icon
3. Indicates if ethernet interface is not being used for networking (not active), even if connected, due to networking interface priority in MacOS networking settings (Needs full version upgrade)
4. Auto starts on system restart (Can be disabled via menu)
5. Light weight and has small memory and resource footprint. Highly optimised.
6. Shows interface device information like model, vendor (Needs full version upgrade)
7. Shows IPv4 and IPv6 addresses (Needs full version upgrade)
8. Shows MAC address (Needs full version upgrade)
9. Shows public IP Address (Can be disabled via settings)
Please feel free to contact me at any time for issues and feedback and don't forget to use the "Rate on Mac App Store" menu option to rate the app. We value your feedback. Thank you for using Ethernet Status app.
Fixes a bug where connection to iPhone through USB for hotspot was being shown in the list and affected the icon status
Ratings and Reviews
Free vs Paid version differences
The free version only provides connection verification and the broadband IP address. For all other features you have to upgrade to the paid version. It is disappointing that the developer does not state the differences between the two as if he did I would not have wasted my time downloading and checking out the free version, which is really a mostly disabled trial version. In my opinion this is a form of bait and switch. I have removed the app from my system as their are many other menu apps that accomplish the same function as the free version of this one and I do not need to have another app taking up more RAM on my system that only duplicate what I already have such as Fast Tasks, Connection, and many others.
Developer Response ,
Hi Jim, App Store description has been updated to indicate those features that need a full version upgrade. Thank you for raising this concern.
Apple making ethernet near impossible to track when also connected to wifi was an endless frustration for me. This has made it much easier to know I'm using my best connection when docked. Only $1.99 for the full version was a no-brainer.
Does the job perfectly
Very happy with this app. Gets the job done perfectly with nothing extraneous. The only thing I can think of that would be a nice addition: it would be helpful if it told you what vlan the switchport is that you’re connected to.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.