By Alexander Lindenstruth
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Tired of launching the OS X Calculator app and stepping through menu paths or launching the fullscreen OS X Dashboard just for doing a simple currency conversion? Here's the solution:
"Exchange Rates" is a small currency calculator residing in the OS X status bar or in your notification center – always available and always up to date. Nothing more, nothing less.
Everything can be done using keyboard shortcuts, so you can easily convert an amount between two currencies without interrupting your current workflow by using the mouse or even launching another window-based application. It also provides two system services to make currency conversions even more convenient.
All exchange rates are being updated continuously in the background, so you don't have to do anything about it. In addition, the fixed exchange rates of all euro predecessor currencies are available, such as the Austrian Shilling or German Mark.
And just in case you would like to know what your paper currency is worth in sound money: Exchange Rates also offers four precious metals for conversions - each in grams and troy ounces.
Exchange Rates can also inform you automatically with a notification when a predefined threshold of a currency pair is de- or exceeded. This feature is available for all supported currencies (including Bitcoin and Litecoin) and the 4 precious metals (either in grams or troy ounces).
The most important features at a glance:
• More than 160 worldwide currencies
• All euro-predecessor currencies
• Precious metals (gold, silver, platinum, palladium)
• Bitcoin (more than 25 exchanges)
• Litecoin (more than 8 exchanges)
• Custom feed definitions for BTC and LTC exchanges
• Today widget (on OS X 10.10 and newer)
• Exchange rate notifications (on OS X 10.8 and newer)
And in more detail:
• All foreign exchange rates & currencies in your menu bar
• Always available, always up-to-date
• No more annoying fiddling with the OS X Calculator just to do a simple currency conversion
• Offers two system services (convert to local currency or to all favourite currencies)
• Sends notifications for any currency pair when a predefined threshold is crossed (on OS X 10.8 or newer)
• Add favourites (accessible with keyboard shortcuts) for frequently used conversions
• Show your favourites in various different list types, e.g. for direct and/or indirect quotations
• Everything can be done using keyboard shortcuts to avoid interrupting your workflow.
• Also includes a Today Extension showing all your favourites (requires OS X v. 10.10 or newer)
• The today widget can also do currency conversions directly within the OS X Notification Center
• Keeps a history of all most recently used currencies (can be deactivated)
• Data Minimization: no unnecessary data collection (e.g. user tracking)
• Uses encrypted https connections for all built-in data sources
• More than 160 world-wide currencies are available
• You can also check what your paper money is worth in gold, silver, platinum and palladium
• 4 precious metals are available (gold, silver, platinum and palladium)
• Precious metals can be shown either in grams or troy ounces
• The cryptocurrencies bitcoin and litecoin are also available
• You can choose from more than 25 BTC and 8 LTC exchanges
• You can also add your own BTC or LTC price feed (JSON only)
• The fixed exchange rates for all Euro predecessor currencies are available as well
Please visit the web site for a complete list of all supported BTC- and LTC-exchanges.
If you find a bug in this app, please report it to the bug tracker or email me so I can fix it as soon as possible. You can find a link to the bug tracker on the support website. Thank you!
A free tryout version is available on the website.
What's New in Version 2.5.3
• adds a button to the main panel to browse the selected currency pair on finance.yahoo.com and quandl.com
• replaces the two arrow buttons in list views with a popup button offering more actions
• bugfix: the app preference to hide the exchange rate in the status item was not always persistent
• bugfix: fixed a delay when dragging entries in the preferences window's favourite list
• bugfix: sometimes the app prevented the system from shutting down or rebooting
A complete changelog of all previously released versions is also available on the website.
- Category: Finance
- Updated: Sep 26, 2015
- Version: 2.5.3
- Size: 5.7 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Alexander Lindenstruth
- © 2012-2014 Alexander Lindenstruth
Compatibility: OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor