By Hanno Rein
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Exoplanet app is a highly visual and interactive catalogue of all known exoplanets. Exoplanets are planets orbiting stars beyond our own Solar System. It is frequently updated whenever new discoveries are confirmed. An amazing model of the Milky Way lets you explore our universe all the way from the Solar System to the cosmic microwave background. This app has been developed and is maintained by a professional astronomer.
* Interactive visualisations and animations.
* Physical properties of all detected exoplanets and their host stars, updated on a daily basis.
* Stunning 3D model of our Milky Way showing the location of all known exoplanets. You can zoom into any planetary system, explore how the night sky and the constellations look from the surface of other planets, or zoom out and see local galaxy clusters and the cosmic microwave background.
* Visualisations of exoplanet orbits and the habitable zone.
* Push notifications are sent out whenever a new planet is discovered.
* Augmented reality sky map: point the phone towards the sky to find an exoplanet!
* Interactive multi-touch correlation plots.
* Extensive background information on exoplanets and detection methods.
* Full support of planets in binary, triple, quadruple systems and orphan planets.
* Real-time ray tracing on the GPU.
* Experimental support for Philips hue (changes the color of the light bulbs according to the temperature of the currently selected star).
* Includes alternative identifiers from Uwingu.
Send comments, questions and suggestions to the developer at email@example.com
You can also follow exoplanet announcements and updates on Twitter and Facebook:
What's New in Version 13.1
* Option added to hide all buttons in visualizations (under "About/Add-ons"). Note that you will have to memorize the position of the buttons before you hide them!
* Minor bug fixes.
New in 13.0:
* Improved Earth Model
The model of the Earth now includes an atmosphere shader and new multi-channel textures of clouds, land, ocean and city lights.
* Virtual Reality
The virtual reality mode has been improved with a live day/night map. Click on the VR button in the Milky Way to fly home from anywhere in the universe.
* Celestial coordinate systems
The virtual reality mode allows you now to turn on a horizontal and equatorial coordinate system.
* Many other improvements including several bug fixes
Easily one of my favorite apps
What can I say? I've purchased every add-on it has, and have yet to be disappointed. Regularly updated database on all known exoplanets. See the paths of known asteroids in our solar system, the Pioneer and Voyager spacecraft, watch the shadow of Saturn's rings trace across it... Jump to any solar system in the known galaxy (rendered to-scale in 3D). Read about and access up-to-date raw vital statistics on the same. Zoom out and truly get a sense of the scale of our galaxy, and the wider universe. This app has only continued to improve over time. Money well spent.
While I can tell the new VR mode has potential, if one thing could be changed, it'd be nice to have an option to either turn it off, or only have it active when tethered to the Earth's surface. Ever since its implementation, I see a notification about compass interference recommending I move my device in a figure-8 pattern to recalibrate (which doesn't work) covering the screen the entire time the app is open.
My favorite app
Not an exaggeration. This is literally my favorite app on my iPhone and iPad. Buy the CMB IAP for 99c. It's so worth it. Seeing us in scale to our known universe is simply mind blowing. I stare at it all the time.
EDIT: This new version blew me away again. This developer deserves all the praise we can give him! Try it out!
Latest News From Deep Space!
Discoveries are being made daily. My mental universe is changing wildly. This app is tracking the changes and doing it well for pros, amateurs, and the idle rich. Don't miss what's happening now!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Mar 11, 2014
- Version: 13.1
- Size: 47.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Seller: Hanno Rein
- © 2013 Hanno Rein
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Galaxy Clusters and CMB$0.99
- Ad Free Version$1.99
- Kepler Add-on$2.99