By Hanno Rein
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The Exoplanet app is a highly visual and interactive catalogue of all known exoplanets. Exoplanets are planets orbiting stars beyond our own Solar System. It is frequently updated whenever new discoveries are confirmed. An amazing model of the Milky Way lets you explore our universe all the way from the Solar System to the cosmic microwave background. This app has been developed and is maintained by a professional astronomer.
* Interactive visualisations and animations.
* Physical properties of all detected exoplanets and their host stars, updated on a daily basis.
* Stunning 3D model of our Milky Way showing the location of all known exoplanets. You can zoom into any planetary system, explore how the night sky and the constellations look from the surface of other planets, or zoom out and see other local galaxies and galaxy clusters as well as the cosmic microwave background.
* Visualisations of exoplanet orbits and the habitable zone.
* Push notifications are sent out whenever a new planet is discovered.
* Augmented reality sky map: point the phone towards the sky to find an exoplanet!
* Interactive multi-touch correlation plots.
* Extensive background information on exoplanets and detection methods.
* Full support of planets in binary, triple, quadruple systems and orphan planets.
* Real-time ray tracing on the GPU.
* Experimental support for Philips hue (changes the color of the light bulbs according to the temperature of the currently selected star).
* Includes alternative identifiers from Uwingu.
Send comments, questions and suggestions to the developer at email@example.com
You can also follow exoplanet announcements and updates on Twitter and Facebook:
What's New in Version 15.0.1
Fixes a bug that might cause the app to crash on startup.
This app is excellent for anyone interested in space, the universe, or other science things. It has lots of information-- with explanations for beginners yet still managing to hold value for those who understand the material. This app does what it claims to do, no less. The in-app-purchases, while beneficial, are unnecessary for a sense of completeness. While the interface needs some practice to use expertly, the product still feels polished. Props to the developers, 9.5/10.
Great astronomy app, highly recommended especially for exoplanet fans
This is a great astronomy app, highly recommended especially for exoplanet fans, but not only. With the add-ons, you can do some basic exploration of asteroids, moons and galaxies. I think in time, it has the potential of becoming a full planetarium app, like the Space Engine. I am looking forward for further engine expansions. For those new to astronomy and/or exoplanet research, it can be very educational.
Are you kidding me?!?
when I was a kid in the '70's, I probably would have saved my allowance for a year to get something that could do this!! Who am I kidding, me and my two geeky friends would have saved three years to split it!!!
I never saw any ads, so I did go cheap and save $0.99, but the other $0.99 and $2.99 were WELL WORTH the money!
- Category: Education
- Updated: Feb 16, 2015
- Version: 15.0.1
- Size: 66.2 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Seller: Hanno Rein
- © 2014 Hanno Rein
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Top In-App Purchases
- Galaxy Clusters and CMB$0.99
- Ad Free Version$1.99
- Kepler Add-on$2.99