By Hanno Rein
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
The Exoplanet app is a highly visual and interactive catalogue of all known exoplanets. Exoplanets are planets orbiting stars beyond our own Solar System. It is frequently updated whenever new discoveries are confirmed. An amazing model of the Milky Way lets you explore our universe all the way from the Solar System to the cosmic microwave background. This app has been developed and is maintained by a professional astronomer.
* Interactive visualisations and animations.
* Physical properties of all detected exoplanets and their host stars, updated on a daily basis.
* Stunning 3D model of our Milky Way showing the location of all known exoplanets. You can zoom into any planetary system, explore how the night sky and the constellations look from the surface of other planets, or zoom out and see other local galaxies and galaxy clusters as well as the cosmic microwave background.
* Visualisations of exoplanet orbits and the habitable zone.
* Push notifications are sent out whenever a new planet is discovered.
* Augmented reality sky map: point the phone towards the sky to find an exoplanet!
* Interactive multi-touch correlation plots.
* Extensive background information on exoplanets and detection methods.
* Full support of planets in binary, triple, quadruple systems and orphan planets.
* Real-time ray tracing on the GPU.
* Experimental support for Philips hue (changes the color of the light bulbs according to the temperature of the currently selected star).
* Includes alternative identifiers from Uwingu.
Send comments, questions and suggestions to the developer at email@example.com
You can also follow exoplanet announcements and updates on Twitter and Facebook:
What's New in Version 16.0.3
- Fixes a bug that prevents the Solar System to show up.
Versatile and informative exploration app
This app is amazing! There are plenty of features which allow you to explore the observable universe and put the gigantic size of it in perspective. Scientific information is abundant and can lead to further research for those inclined.
Very impressed. Must download, and the add-one are worth it for the money!
A word to the developers, keep up the good work. Continually add new discoveries, fine tune and add exploratory features, and integrate more scientific and mathematical models.
Really hard not to give a 5
It's an incredible app. I feel like a jerk not giving it five stars. But I bought the updates and they didn't carry over through my Apple account from my iPad to my iPhone for one, and I'm also dubious about how often and whether or not it updates the database. Every time I read about a new exoplanet or system I look it up on the app and only find it about half the time. That being said, it is hands-down my favorite app of all time.
Amazing app, simple to use
This is one of the most incredible astronomy apps I have come across. I am an amateur astronomer and I find this useful when observing and doing astrophotography. It is possible to see some of these planets using a telescope and astrophotography equipment if you time it correctly. This app provides the necessary information to calculate the next transit of some of the larger planets around the closest stars.
- Category: Education
- Updated: Nov 22, 2016
- Version: 16.0.3
- Size: 81.9 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Seller: Hanno Rein
- © 2016 Hanno Rein
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.Apple TV: Yes
Top In-App Purchases
- Galaxy Clusters and CMB$0.99
- Ad Free Version$1.99
- Kepler Add-on$2.99