"Exploring Emotions is highly recommended for any educator working with students on emotional regulation" - Jackie Bryla (A.C.T.)
The Zones of Regulation®: Exploring Emotions is an application designed to foster self-regulation skills in fun and exciting ways while simulating everyday situations students can relate to.
Exploring Emotions is based off of the widely adopted framework, The Zones of Regulation, by Leah Kuypers (www.zonesofregulation.com). The framework was published as a curriculum (2011, Social Thinking Publishing, www.socialthinking.com) as well as an original app, both titled The Zones of Regulation. The Zones of Regulation teaches four concrete colored “zones” to categorize all the feelings, sensory states and emotions we experience, helping students develop awareness of how they are feeling and by providing a simple language and visual structure to communicate their feelings to others. In addition, students learn about tools and how they can be used to manage each of their zones. The app helps students gain skills in consciously regulating their behaviors to the social and environmental demands.
Exploring Emotions offers a new medium to address self-regulation needs and reinforce The Zones framework. There are several features in the app that create a comprehensive learning experience:
• Audio voiceover enriches the experience for students by providing social interaction between characters and instructional teachings throughout the app.
• Data tracking allows students to apply what they are learning in the app to their own life by self-monitoring and reflecting on their feelings (Zones) and how they were managed during events that occurred over the course of their day. These graphs can be saved, revisited and edited, and also emailed to an email address.
• Easy navigation throughout the app allows students to return to any point in the app to replay and consider different outcomes.
• Integration of an expansive toolbox that is fully customizable by students. Students learn about and categorize dozens of tools to help them manage their zones. They are also able to adjust the content of their toolbox.
• Incorporation of mini games provide real-time the opportunity for students to reflect on the outcome of games and how this triggers emotions.
• Multiple environments including a classroom, a cafeteria, and a park that offer different scenarios, events and activities to participate in. Students easily relate to the various situations presented throughout the app, helping them to make connections between learning in the app to real life.
• Reinforcing activities are infused throughout the app. For example, students can unlock a mini game and customize their avatar by coloring their hair and buying custom outfits.
• References to The Zones of Regulation curriculum are embedded throughout the app to assist adults who support a student in locating additional educational resources to strengthen learning.
Exploring Emotions is designed to be used with Pre-K, elementary students, secondary students, as well as is applicable to adults that struggle with emotional control. To enhance learning, it is recommended that an adult closely monitor the student's progression through the App, asking probing questions and facilitating discussions about how the App's content can be generalized to the student's real life. Exploring Emotions is a resource for parents to teach and encourage self-control and emotional management in the home through the Zones framework. It is an exciting resource for therapists and teachers looking to address social emotional learning (SEL) through a medium that is motivating for students to engage in.
The App provides a fun and engaging experience for students while learning and gaining valuable knowledge to assist in developing real-life skills in self-regulation and emotional control.
Download The Zones of Regulation: Exploring Emotions today!
• Support for iPhone X resolution
• Graphics updates for all supported iPhone/iPad models
• Updated iCloud plugin
• Updated utility plugin
• Re-designed the character animation system, improving efficiency
• Minor bug fixes
• Shortened the app name to fit within the new 30 character app title limit
Ratings and Reviews
This is a great app. It's quite an improvement from the first Zones app (which personally I found lacking content), where it does not just touch on a few points in the curriculum, but provides many examples and activities. I highly recommend this over the original Zones app!
I would love to see some more scenarios added to the park, as kids love to run around and interact with all the characters and play the basketball game. More ways to earn coins would be great too. I have found some kids just enter tools without thinking about them just to earn coins so they can buy a new outfit from the shop. These are minor issues I have that I think could be improved. Overall I'm very satisfied with the app. Highly recommended."
This is an amazing tool! I work with children on the autism spectrum and will definitely be sharing the app with them. The settings will be familiar to them and the scenarios are very typical, but offer help for times like those that are too difficult for them to problem solve. I reviewed the entire app and found myself smiling through it all. The characters and music are quite engaging. I had a ball in the food fight, but lost due to my poor video game skills. I'm sure this app will be of value to a lot of children and their support people.
Save your money
I bought the first zones app right when it came out and have thoroughly enjoyed usIng it. When this one came out, I bought it right away too. Unfortunately, there just isn't much content. what is there is good but there is only one mini game and my students quickly lost interest in playing. Not worth $10! The first zones app is however worth purchasing!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.