Exporter for Contacts (was "Export Address Book") is a popular and powerful Mac app to export contact data from Contacts/Address Book to EXCEL, CSV and other formats, capable of organizing export setups in customizable templates to make repeated exports a lot easier. The app lets you export selected contacts, groups and whole address books. It lets you decide which contact fields will be exported and in what order. The app ships with predefined export templates for common applications such as Outlook for Windows or Gmail.
Exporter for Contacts works on all Mac operating system versions from OS X 10.7 upwards.
- Exporter for Contacts can create a native Excel Workbook file (.xlsx). No more exporting and importing CSV files into Excel only for the file to look all funky and screwed up. Leading zeros, special characters and dates are exported correctly.
- Lets you make your own export templates to use again in the future
- It recognizes fields with custom labels.
- It lets you export phone numbers in a uniform format (can be disabled in the settings if required).
- It can create custom vCards and it lets you decide which info will be put into those vCards.
- It supports the "Distribution List" feature of Apple's Contacts app.
SAFE AND PRIVACY-RESPECTING
Any contact export is done entirely locally on your Mac. Exporter for Contacts does not analyse or even store your contacts on a remote server. When running on macOS Mojave, the app adopts several features provided by the OS for further improved protection of your sensitive data.
Please note that -- in contrast to the languages listed here on the App Store page -- the user interface of the app is localized to English and German only.
If you have questions or suggestions please contact the author. Please do not use the review system of the App Store to ask questions.
- The app now adopts several security features provided by macOS Mojave for improved protection of your sensitive data.
- Fixed a potential crash when running the app on macOS 10.11 and earlier versions of the OS
Ratings and Reviews
I purchased this app because I wanted to export my contacts to use on my YeaLink phones. The app didn't have a YeaLink exporter, but I contacted the author and he sent me one that worked.
If I wanted to create my own YeaLink I could have done it as well. I would have had to dump out the XML and created an XSLT that transformed it.
You do this by using one of the existing templates, and dumping out the XML, then load it into your favorite XML/XSLT editor and take the template and change it until it works. (Using XSLT 1.0) then you can put it back in.
Great product, and even better support!
Not sure why this isn’t native to Contacts but this does exactly what I needed.
Fast, accurate and a great investment !
I have almost 2,000 addresses in my iPhone and even though I use MobileMe I live in fear of losing my contacts. Within 30 minutes of using the free trial version of this app and exporting to Excel I had found a lot of incorrectly labeled fields and corrected them. I have used other Mac and palm pilot export apps and they always exported all of the fields but used the default order with incorrect field names. This app actually uses the field names as shown in the iPhone as it should. It will take a bit of tweaking if your database contains multiple home/work/cellular/LinkedIn/URLs for each name but the end result is beautiful.
If you treasure your time and data this is a great investment. Now I can routinely sync my iPhone to my Mac, make an excel backup that can be used in a number of ways if I need an xmas card list or need to import my addresses elsewhere and then delete the groups/addresses I do not want on my Mac. I've only had it an hour but it has performed flawlessly and fast.
- Stefan Keller
- 3.1 MB
- OS X 10.7 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2006—2018 Stefan Keller, subclassed.com
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.