By Andre Rubbia
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
ExpressionsinBar is a simple menubar application which provides powerful computer-aided algebra computations.
It's a powerful tool for evaluating mathematical expressions that lives in the menubar of your Mac ! So it is always just click away !
It can do numerical calculations - It can also do symbolic math !
Equations can be output in a PDF form that can be pasted into your Documents or Presentations !
It's the perfect app for teachers, math students, scientists, and the geek among us !
• Unlike most other Equation Editors, ExpressionsinBar helps you resolve the math and then prepares a neat output for an easy insertion in your documents or presentations.
• How to use: Click the Menubar icon and ExpressionsinBar pops open an input expression box. Enter the expression, view the result. With the drag-and-drop feature, results are easily copied into text editors such as Pages or Microsoft Word, or presentation programs such as Keynote or Microsoft PowerPoint. Alternatively export the result of a computation in LaTeX syntax to TeX processors, such as TeXShop or TeXworks.
• Key features:
- Constants (π, e, etc.)
- Integers, fractions, floating numbers
- Sequences, lists, vectors, matrices, strings
- Operators (+, -, *, /, ^)
- Arithmetics on integers, rational, and floating numbers
- Arbitrary precision arithmetic, operating on signed integers, rational numbers, and floating point numbers
- Operations on fractions (integer and fractional parts, numerator, denominator, simplification, continued fraction expansion of real)
- Real functions (max, min, round, floor, sign, frac, ceil)
- Complex functions (re, im, abs, conj, arg, affix)
- Factorial, binomial
- Exponential, logarithms, roots, powers
- Trigonometric functions, hyperbolic functions, and inverses
- Algebraic transformations (simplify, normal form, expand, factor)
- Trigonometric transformations
- Statistics (1d and 2d)
- Polynomials algebra
- Algebraic calculus
- Numerical calculus
- Derivatives, limits and series expansion, integrals
- Equations, ordinary differential equations
• Extended user interface and keyboard features
- Menu with variables, functions, syntax and tips
- Use keyboard arrows to navigate function arguments
- Easily select to render "input only", "input =", "result" and "input and result"
• Render using LaTeX syntax for fastest type-setting
- "@" feature to interpret input with LaTeX syntax
- Flexible and easy way to format equations
- Use it to write chemical reactions (such as @NaOH+HCl \rightarrow NaCl+H_2O)
• A simple User Interface
- Display short "howto" when typing
- Automatic completion of functions when typing
- Zoom slider
• Services integration - access the powerful tools within other applications, such as Word or Textedit
- Replace Selection by Result
- Replace Selection by Result in LaTeX format
- Replace Selection by Image of Result
• Support for OS X 10.8 and beyond
+++ Thank you to everyone for your cool comments and suggestions ! We are working on each one of them. +++
What's New in Version 1.0.0
Enjoy our revamped user interface with 10 new scrolling panels that provide the most intuitive access to the powerful mathematical tools !!
Expressionsinbar has never been easier to use ! Give it a try.
This program is a must buy
For the first version, 0.62:
I saw the description of this program and thought: What the heck, for $2.99 I will take a chance. Well, instead of being disapointed, I am very happy, as this program does all it claims it will. If you routinely need a CAS calculator and editor, this is the program for you.
For the second version, 1.0
I never thought this program could be improved apon but the author of it pulled it off. If it were possible, I would give it more than 5 stars. With the addition of the virtual keyboard, this program became even easier to use. Normally, if I wanted a quick CAS answer, I had to fire up Mathematica or Maple. I am sure that everyone probably knows the power of these two programs. Unfortunately, if you want to do something simple, the use of the aforementioned programs was like using a sludge hammer on a thumb tack; plus, you had to wait while it loaded. Yes, for easy and quick CAS solutions, this program offers instant gratification.
For the curious, it is my understanding that the CAS engine in this program is GIAC, which is used in the HP Prime calculator. GIAC has been available for many years and is a very compent CAS program. In any event, the author of this program did a nice job of making a very user friendly interface.
Lastly, I noticed the price of this program increased to $3.99, which is still the bargain of the year.