Ez Budget - Envelope Budgeting System
By 30 South LLC
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
25% OFF for a limited time!
iPhone and iPad Versions currently FREE!
Budgeting can be hard. Envelope budgeting makes it easier. Budgeting software can be complicated. Ez Budget makes it simpler.
A year ago we set out to find budgeting software that worked for us. We tried web products, desktop products, iPhone apps, and everything else we could find. Nothing quite fit everything we needed. In March of 2011, we decided to do it ourselves. Our requirements, and the results are as follows:
1. It has to do envelope budgeting. This is the method where you separate your money into different spending areas when you get paid and then only spend money from those envelopes if you have money left in them. It is budgeting by looking ahead instead of looking behind. If you have trouble sticking to a budget, this is the method for you.
2. It has to import transactions from our bank account. The software allows manual transactions for people that want that, but for me to use it I had to connect with my bank. This is one of my favorite features.
3. It has to work on all of our devices. This meant we had to make it sync with our iPhone, our iPad, and our Mac. It also had to sync to all of my wife's devices as well. Here's the real key, it has to do this sync in the cloud. My wife and I need to have access when we are out shopping. This is done with Dropbox, and it is really useful.
4. It had to be simple. Budgeting is hard. Budgeting software should be simple. We tried to keep everything as easy to use and understand as possible. If you don't get it right away, we've provided help in the app to guide you.
5. Great customer support. If it something doesn't work as expected, we wanted to know why and how it does work. If you need anything at all you can contact us easily from our website and we will respond.
These were the things that we wanted in a suite of budgeting software, so we decided to create something that met our needs. This software does that. If it doesn't do everything you need it to do, let us know about it and we'll see what we can do. We love hearing suggestions from our customers.
Note: Some banks charge a fee for the automatic import. That is something that is on their end and is the same for all software unfortunately. There are still many banks that don't charge for this service though. We've just added a manual import feature for those whose banks don't support Direct Connect, or those that charge high fees. Just download your statements in OFX or QFX (Microsoft Money or Quicken) format and import them from the File menu.
What's New in Version 1.4
- Added recurring transactions and the ability to set the date on manual transactions
- minor bug fixes
Some Good and Some Bad
I like the convenience of importing a QFX file I exported from my online banking. I also really like how easy it is to catagorize each line item. On the flip side, I am disappointed in the "Report" feature. One practical issue I had was working with the Add Account feature. Even though the search found my bank, I was unable to login and have my bank account sync up with the program. In fact, I usually have to force quit the program because it gets stuck on stupid. One last issue I encountered is trying to use the help feature to try and figure out how to delete an envelope or category. I have not tried contacting the company for any technical support yet. I am hoping the next update will resolve these functionality issues. I did moderate research before I purchased this product and have yet to decide if the price is justified. Program has potential…..Stay Tuned!!
Could be 5 star, but no customer support at all.
I am very impressed by the potential of this app, but I believe the developer has pretty much walked away from it and it is what it is.
I can't get the feature to automatically download my bank info to work, despite calling and working witht he bank. I am able to download and import the transactions, so there is a work around, but creates extra steps. I like that I am able to split my deposits and for regular deposits I can save a split, so for a given pay check I only have to select the split I want and it is automoatically deposited into my pre determined envelopes.
Also like that I cant miss a transaction. The downside to that is having to wait until the transaction clears my bank in order to remove the money from the envelope. If I buy gas and deduct that cost and then import the transaction a couple days later, it will create a duplicate transaction.
In short this is a great app for envelope budgeting, I am using on my Mac and my iPhone, sync is great and I would gladly rate 5 star had one of my three emailed support request been acknowledged. Will update if I get response.
Awesome budgeting app. Syncs great with all my devices.
This app is ideal for anyone who wants to automatically import bank information and keep track of their budget. Website answered all of my basic questions. I have the iPhone, iPad, and Mac versions and it all syncs wonderfully. My wife and I use it on all three devices.