Please check out www.ezCelestial.com for a full description of the application and in-app help pages.
ezSights is a complete celestial navigation package for the iPhone®, iPod touch® and iPad®. It provides simple interfaces for entering sight parameters, planning the navigational bodies to use and time of day to make the observations, and entering the observations made using a sextant. Then with the click of a button a fix is determined from the observations made.
▪ Internally calculated Nautical Almanac values, valid through 2059.
▪ Performs all calculations with same algorithms used by the US Naval Observatory for the Nautical Almanac.
▪ Supports all navigational bodies currently referenced in the Nautical Almanac.
▪ Computes rise and set times for the sun and moon.
▪ Computes moon phase, HP, parallax and semi-diameter.
▪ Animated star map to aid in locating and identifying all navigational bodies.
▪ Display of full day, morning, or evening altitude profiles for all navigational bodies.
▪ Save current data and up to 7 previous fixes. Each session can have up to 25 observations on up to 3 navigational bodies.
▪ Supports running fixes.
▪ 2 different methods for determining a fix.
▪ Supports practice sights using a bubble horizon, artificial horizon, or large body of water using dip short.
▪ Integration with iOS® Maps to display saved fixes. Also supports setting the assumed position by dropping a pin on the map.
▪ Integration with iOS® location services to obtain position and magnetic variance.
▪ Integration with iOS® devices with compass for direction-up display of the star map and to show azimuth of object currently being observed.
▪ Integration with iOS® data network for setting UTC time from network time using NTP servers.
Resolves additional iOS 11 compatibility issues.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent learning and backup tool
I've never done celestial before. This was very easy to use and learn when combined with the instructions on the web site. Like the other review said, use this with the Spyglass App and you don't even need a sextant for reasonable accuracy. I could reliably get a fix within 5 NM each time while in a rolling boat on a windy lake. That should be close enough to find an island. I could see this being a possible emergency backup for use in case of equipment failure to get you there as long as you had a solar charger for your iPod.
Will use while in the Coast Guard for fun
I've always wanted to learn how to use a sextant and now that I have enlisted in the USCG I thought it was time I learned.
After fumbling around with calculations and never quite getting the concept I found ezsights and quickly began taking sights around my small town with use of an artificial horizon. It takes a few minutes to learn the UI but once I did getting a sight was extremely simple. I would definitely recommend ezsights to anyone want to learn how to use a sextant.
Only good while shooting
This app is designed to be used while actually shooting the celestial body. Have it open and record the shots right off the sextant. it is impossible to go back and enter your data after the fact, as the time of observation is tied to the internal clock of the iPod/iPad/iPhone. Another issue is that it only uses magnetic compass headings for the running fixes (no Gyro or True option), and it expects you to enter the Variation by hand (other apps provide that data). It also doesn't take Deviation into account on for that magnetic heading. All in all...I'd pass on this app. There are better ones out there.
Thank you for your review! Although ezSights has always supported both shooting new observations AND recording/changing previous obsevations, our version 2.0.0 refresh (Sept. 2015) provided new functions and improved internal user manual to make manual entry easier. ezSights does automatically set magnetic variation when the DR position is set using the location manager function. For users who prefer to use true heading, just set the magnetic variation parameter to 0. ezSights is an app to make it very easy to practice with your sextant and is not intended to be a serious navigation tool. If you purchased the wrong product, please contact us directly for a free upgrade to ezAlmanac.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.