* SEND A MESSAGE -Skip exchanging phone numbers, just send a message. It's seamless across devices.
* SHOW YOUR REACTION - Add a silly sticker, send a dancing GIF and use emojis to express yourself better.
* SHARE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS - Capture the moment with the Messenger Camera, add a filter or doodle, then send to friends or share to Stories.
* RALLY THE GROUP - Make plans to get together with polls, share your location, split the bill and more.
* HOP ON A CALL OR VIDEO CHAT - Hang out anywhere, anytime by getting on call or a group video** chat — filters optional :) **Calls are free over Wi-Fi but otherwise standard data charges apply.
* SEND A VOICE MESSAGE - When text just won't cut it, just hit record and send say, sing or shout it out loud.
* SEND MONEY SECURELY AND EASILY (within US, UK and France only) - Send and receive money from friends in the app by adding your debit card or PayPal* account. *PayPal available in the US only.
* SHARE YOUR LOCATION - Suggest a meeting spot or tell friends where you are by sharing your location with just a few taps.
* CHAT WITH BUSINESSES - Easily connect with your favorite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals and more.
* PLAY GAMES WITH FRIENDS - Challenge friends, climb leaderboards, and discover your next gaming obsession.
We have a handful of new features we're planning to introduce in the near future like color gradients, and a re-skinned interface. We will be gradually rolling this version out over the next few weeks - stay tuned, we'll be back with more soon!
This version includes several bug fixes and performance improvements. Thanks for using Messenger!
Coming soon: Remove a message from a chat thread after it's been sent. If you accidentally send the wrong photo, incorrect information, or message the wrong thread, you can easily correct it by removing the message within 10 minutes of sending it.
Ratings and Reviews
This is great, but....
Look, people need privacy. If I want to check my messages without people knowing I’m online doing so... I should be able to. I love this app because I can talk to everyone and sometimes even see who is online, but sometimes you don’t want people to know you are on. Let’s say you were specifically checking messages from one person and get bombarded with messages from others in your contact list. Yes, I very much intend to answer them all and delayed gratification is a learned thing that we should all have, but if you only have a second to check one message or are just downright tired and not able to have full out conversations with friends it would be nice to have an option to sign in incognito or only turn on your availability when you are legitimately available for long conversations. I don’t want to feel as though I need to check my phone every time it dings. Yes, I understand I can turn off notifications, but the app hates this and bugs the crap out of you until you do turn them on.
Please fix this. I honestly love the capability of being able to talk to all the people I love, but I hate the pressure of constant communication. It is stressful and unhealthy for all to feel as though you need to be in constant contact with hundreds of thousands of people. I’m currently deleting and re-downloading the app just to deal with this issue.
I like it but...
It’s a good app, I use it daily to chat with friends. With the update that was released yesterday (6/22) it has stopped from deleting messages. It will say they are deleted but they stay there the entire time, they obviously are not deleted when the other person replies about that message. What if you’re in an argument and send something you don’t mean, then think let’s get rid of that because that’s too much, but it will not delete, causing a bigger problem. Things to add would include adding a seconds from activity thing, if someone is texting someone else then it will read “Active 1m ago” but if they actually just went offline it will also say “Active 1m ago.” To help people with anxiety like mine, make it so if they just went offline that it says “1 second ago” And should build up as seconds pass. Another thing is that if you’re left on read, if the person leaves you on read, but if they go back online on messenger or Facebook, a notification or reminder that the message was sent should be there, that or if they don’t reply on messenger then keep it there as if they never replied and take it off when they do. This is to stop people from forgetting about things and if people get tired of it then they can turn on “Mute Notifications.” Just some ideas and fixes.
Stop with the notification setting
Look, the app does what it’s supposed to do. It’s a platform for contacting my FB friends and it does that just fine. Hence the two stars. However, with every single other app I own, you can opt out of notifications just once and never get asked again. I don’t like unnecessary notifications clogging up my phone all day long. I don’t want messenger notifications. EVERY TIME I log into the app, a pop up reminder comes up reminding me that my notifications are off and prompting me to turn them on. Even when I dismiss this alert, there’s a notification (little red circle with a number one in it) next to my photo on the app that is also a reminder to turn on my notifications. The red circle never goes away. And now just this week I’ve started getting an alert in red at the top of my messenger inbox letting me know that my notifications are not on. I find all of this very annoying and over the top. This issue in and of itself makes me want to delete the app. If I don’t want notifications then leave me alone! Why is it so important to this app that it’s forcing me to get notifications? Someone turn this off for goodness sakes.
- Facebook, Inc.
- 246.6 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Facebook, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.