What does it do?
The FCC Speed Test app accurately measures your mobile broadband performance and displays an in-depth view of its factors (e.g. download and upload speed, latency, jitter and packet loss).
Why download it?
Learn about your mobile broadband performance in one click. Track it over time.
What about privacy?
No personally-identifiable information is collected whatsoever. Testing is totally anonymous.
Still curious? Read below for more detail.
Mobile broadband has become part of our everyday infrastructure. We hope the app helps provide greater clarity about your mobile broadband performance.
Once installed, you can test your mobile broadband performance at the touch of a button. Aggregated, anonymous data will also help us build a map of mobile broadband performance across the country.
Privacy is paramount. The FCC has taken significant measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of volunteers for this program. Using privacy measures developed and reviewed by a diverse team of privacy experts, any data that could potentially identify specific smartphones is analyzed and processed to ensure privacy protection.
How does this help you?
• Run manual tests on Download Speed, Upload Speed, Latency, Jitter and Packet Loss. (Make sure to disable Wi-Fi before testing cellular broadband speeds.)
• Additional passive metrics collected such as Carrier, Country Code and GPS location.
• Access real-time performance data on your device.
• Historical results available at the touch of a screen.
• Be a volunteer! You can help the FCC’s Measuring Broadband America program in developing the first open and transparent information on mobile broadband performance in the United States.
• By default, there is a 100 MB limit per month but this can be changed according to your preference--always consider your broadband usage carefully on limited data allowance plans.
• The app is ad-free.
This version provides up-to-date test methodologies and improvements to the user interface, including recording network test failures, improved performance on iOS 11 and iOS 12, and the ability to view historical results.
Ratings and Reviews
Does collect my data
This is the best speed app I have used fast.
Only 50% functionality
Since upgrade to IOS 12 have been only able to test 4G/LTE service. Will not connect to Wi-Fi service in order to test Wi-Fi. Full functionality with iOS 11.
UPDATE: Downloaded latest update on 25 October and still get can’t connect to our servers message when attempting to test WiFi.
Useless in underserved areas
What is the point in having an app to send info about areas if you have to have service in order to gather the info. Useless!! I thought it should at least record the gps coordinates so that I could send the info when I moved to an area with service. But NO, it records Nothing about an area with NO SERVICE!!
- Samknows Limited
- 34.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2018 SamKnows
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.