The Field Guide to the Moths of Great Britain and Ireland is the most comprehensive field guide to the larger moths of the British Isles. With more than 1,700 superbly detailed illustrations by Richard Lewington, and comprehensive texts by Paul Waring and Martin Townsend, this app covers over 800 species: that’s almost every macro-moth known to have occurred in Great Britain and Ireland.
Carefully designed features allow the user to view the stunning artwork in several different ways:
• as a series of plates, as in the printed book – tap on any illustration on a plate to be taken straight to that species’ entry
• as individual illustrations – giving an uncluttered view that allows you to focus on the most important features for identification
• and side-by-side in comparison mode – a curated list of confusion species means you’ll always be able to quickly compare the one you’re looking at with the most similar species
The life-size mode displays all individual illustrations at life size on any device: perfect for comparing directly with live specimens.
A handy introductory section gives information on the moth life-cycle, tips for finding your own moths, and much more. The species list can be arranged alphabetically or taxonomically, and a text search allows you to go straight to the species you’re looking for.
This app cunningly links with our Moths of Britain and Ireland app (sold separately), a photographic guide based on Chris Manley’s book. With a single tap, you can jump out of the app to view a host of photographs depicting the species you’re looking at, perfectly complementing the illustrations in this app.
For the keenest moth-ers, we’ve made the illustrations, texts and maps from the FIELD GUIDE TO THE MICRO-MOTHS OF GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND by Phil Sterling and Mark Parsons available as an In-App Purchase. Over 1,000 species of micro-moth are illustrated in remarkable detail by Richard Lewington, along with 900 specially commissioned maps, detailed family introduction texts, and comprehensive species texts. The micro-moth In-App Purchase seamlessly integrates with the macro-moth content and gives accesses to all of the same great features, like plate view, comparison mode, and life size.
• view any species at life size on any device
• plate views, perfect for browsing through
• compare species side-by-side
• extensive introductory sections
• illustrations by Richard Lewington
• comprehensive texts
• user-generated favourites list
• easily move between species by swiping up/down on an illustration
• quickly close the side list with a pinch gesture
• links with Moths of Britain and Ireland photographic guide app
Optimised for the latest devices
- NatureGuides Ltd.
- 868.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © NatureGuides Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Micro-moths of Great Britain and Ireland $10.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.