*** Please read the ENTIRE description! ***
WHAT IT DOES:
FieldMonitor™ lets you wirelessly monitor picture, exposure, and color using Wi-Fi-capable Panasonic™ Lumix™ cameras, Sony™ cameras, and Teradek™ H.264 transmitters. FieldMonitor runs on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Use markers to show safe areas, aspect ratios, and framing grids. Desqueeze anamorphic images from 1.33x, 1.5x, and 2.0x lenses, with cropping to several final aspect ratios. Flip the image on either axis. Load 3D LUTs to make log images viewable and modify image appearance (camera sources only). Use focus assist to help nail your focus (camera sources only).
View a waveform monitor, vectorscope, and/or histogram to monitor exposure and color balance. Each ’scope is movable and resizable. WFM and histogram display Y (luma), RGB, or Y+RGB; the WFM also shows YCbCr. The vectorscope shows 75% and 100% targets and can be magnified 2x or 4x.
With iPhone 5S or later, iPod touch 6G or later, iPad Air or later, iPad mini 2 or later, or iPad Pro, you can view a false-color picture with adjustable levels.
With a supported camera and lens you can start/stop recording, control exposure and color settings, and zoom or focus remotely.
• Make sure your camera and workflow are supported *before* buying FieldMonitor, and contact me if you have any questions.
• Use Image App to test your Panasonic's remote-control capabilities, or PlayMemories Mobile to test your Sony, before buying FieldMonitor for use with those cameras. FieldMonitor can't make the camera do anything more than the manufacturer's app can.
• FieldMonitor depends on a clear Wi-Fi channel for monitoring and control. In areas with many busy Wi-Fi networks and/or sources of radio interference, performance cannot be guaranteed. Test with your camera’s native Wi-Fi app before buying FieldMonitor.
• Not all features are available with all cameras, in all recording modes, on all iDevices. Details at https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/
• FieldMonitor talks directly to ”hybrid” cameras like the GH5 and A7Sii, but not to cine cameras like the DVX200, EVA-1, FS7, or F55.
• Audio is not transmitted from camera sources.
• Panasonic's Wi-Fi image resolution is limited to 640x480 or 320x240; Sony's Wi-Fi image resolution is 1024x768 or 640x480.
• "Smart Remote" Sonys do NOT allow use of Picture Profiles (including S-Log) when using Wi-Fi remote monitoring or control.
• "Integrated remote" Sonys do not display focus area, battery level, or storage info.
• Camera controls are limited to shooting controls: there is no playback or download capability. Use Image App (Panasonic) or PlayMemories Mobile (Sony) for those functions.
• FieldMonitor runs on iPhone X in the "safe area", avoiding the curvy bits and leaving room for the Home Bar at the bottom of the screen.
SUPPORTED SOURCES (check website for full details):
• Panasonic: Lumix cameras that transmit a live view while recording when using Image App.
>>> GH3 and earlier cameras do NOT support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode.
• Sony: ILC and RX cameras that transmit a live view while recording when using PlayMemories Mobile, including the A5100, A6300, A6500, A7S, A7Sii, A7ii, A7iii, A9, and A99ii.
>>> A5000, A6000, A7, A99 and earlier cameras do NOT support video recording in Wi-Fi remote mode.
• Teradek: Cube (100–600 series), VidiU, and Clip transmitters. Bolt, Serv, and 700–800 series Cubes are NOT supported.
• Detailed info at https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/support.html#Compatibility
Panasonic, Lumix, and Image App are trademarks of Panasonic Corporation. Sony and PlayMemories are trademarks of Sony Corporation. Teradek, Cube, Clip, VidiU, Serv, and Bolt are trademarks of Teradek, a Vitec Group Brand. FieldMonitor is an independently-developed app; Panasonic, Sony, and Teradek are not responsible for FieldMonitor’s performance, suitability, or fitness for purpose.
Camera Remote API by Sony.
• New built-in LUTs: HLG to Rec.709(800%), with both NHK and BBC recommended levels (NHK: white @ 50%; BBC: white @ 73%). Check your LUT settings as default selections may have changed!
• Panasonic Image Mag setting added; turn it OFF when using electronically coupled lenses in manual focus mode and the camera isn’t accessible while recording, as when it's on a jib or gimbal. (Also, set the camera’s MF Assist to "off" or "AF Mode" button only, and not to trigger with the focus ring.) Otherwise, turning the focus ring can cause the camera to stay "busy" until you push a button on the camera itself.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent tool and great support
I am very pleased with this app. Having full screen monitoring is a huge help. I have a Panasonic GX85 and for some strange reason, Panasonic disables focus peaking and zebra stripe through the WiFi stream while recording video. Both are present in the stream before the recording is started and while recording it is only available on the camera screen. The extra features in this app allow me to still use sharpened edges and light to do essentially the same thing through the app.
I had some pre-sale questions and Adam was excellent and answered all my questions very quickly. The lower reviews seem to be from customers whom did not read the description of the app to see if it would or would not be compatible with their camera.
If your camera is in the supported list, or an email to Adam verifies it is, then buy this app. It is so much better than the ones the manufacture offers for monitoring purposes. If you just need to download images, the manufacture app probably already lets you do that. This one won’t.
Great idea. Video output on the G7 isn't great.
Super cool for $20 bucks. I use it to see my lighting adjustments in real time instead of running back to the camera. It's almost like I'm my own assistant, and that's something a wired monitor can't do.
The quality of the video over wifi from my Panasonic G7 isn't great. I can't really tell what's in focus. Seems to be very useful for exposure. Slight color difference between iPhone and the camera LCD. Autofocus seems to work well, but trying to focus manually through the app moves super slow.
False color is my favorite part. I wish there was a quick on and off for it instead of having to tap and slide.
Definitely better than nothing for me, I just really wish I could check focus. The G7 can't monitor out over HDMI so this is really nice. Maybe the GH4 or GH5 has a better quality output. I'll have to try it.
One issue is whenever I try to jump back to the Panasonic app for playback I have to reconnect to the cameras wifi and then reopen the field monitor app. That can take a minute.
We're limited to the resolutions the G7 puts out, alas, so it's not ideal for focus. The next version will have quicker toggling of 'scopes, false color, and LUTs. Not sure why you're having reconnection issues; contact me directly and we can try to work out why that's happening.
Disconnect problem with GH4
I’m working with a GH4 and I use the FeildMonotor app when using my gimbal. That app has awesome features and truly allows you to operate the camera. The only problem is that the app will frequently lose connectivity with the GH4. The iPhone and the camera are less than 12 inches away from each other when in use. I know it’s not my iPhone because the free Panasonic version stays connected without issues.
Please contact me directly so we can debug this!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.