Files - File Manager & Web Browser
By Hian Zin Jong
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Files (formerly known as Downloads Lite) features a Web browser that lets you save documents to your iPhone or iPod touch so that you can work with them offline. It has a built-in file manager, with robust viewer for all iOS supported document types, powerful photo browser, advanced PDF reader, full Dropbox support, and more.
NOTE: This app does not support downloading of audio or video content.
√ Full portrait & landscape mode support
√ Passcode lock
√ Web browser
- Provides a user experience very similar to Mobile Safari
- Tabbed browsing
- Tap and hold on an image to download it
- Tap and hold to force download
- Save web pages with images for offline viewing
- Full screen mode
- Bookmark manager
- History support
- Address bar auto-completion
- HTTP basic authentication
- Form-based authentication
- Integrated Google or Yahoo! search
- Ability to spoof browser's User-Agent string to display web pages like Firefox
- Unified smart search field. Type a URL or search term in the unified smart search field, the browser automatically suggests the closest match to what you’re looking for.
√ Download manager
- Fast downloading speed
- Supports resuming of interrupted downloads reliably
- Live download progress bar and speed indicator
- Active downloads badge number
- Add arbitrary download link
- Always download with correct filename
√ File manager
- Full screen document viewer that supports .pdf, .doc, .xls, .ppt, .txt, .html and .rtf file formats
- Folders support
- Move, rename and delete files
- Search by file name
- Extract RAR archives
- Unzip ZIP files
- Remember document scroll position
- Attempt to open file of unrecognized format
- Import photos from camera roll
√ Dropbox integration
- Upload, download and manage files
- Sync what you want, keep files on your device
√ Advanced PDF viewer
- Huge PDF files work flawlessly
- Text search
- Tap PDF links to jump across the file
√ Photo viewer
- Tap or swipe to move between images in a folder
- Zoom in and out with pinch gesture
- Ability to save images to photo album
- Thumbnails view
√ File transfer
- Supports HTTP and FTP protocols
- Supports iTunes USB File Sharing
- Transfer files to and from computer in Wi-Fi network
- Send files as email attachments (size under 15MB)
√ Mobile Safari Integration
- Bookmarklet for Mobile Safari that lets you open any link in Files app
- Background downloading
√ Inter-app document interchange
- Other apps can save their files to Files app (e.g. Email app can save attachments to Files app)
√ Recovery Mode
- If the browser caught in an endless loop of pop-up alerts, go to the iOS built-in "Settings" app, find "Files", turn on "Recovery Mode", then force-quit and relaunch the app.
What's New in Version 6.1.3
- Minor bug fixes
- Improved performance
This is a long review but you may find it helpful.
I was having a problem with my PC and needed to download a 7gb ISO file but the only way I could do it was on my iPhone. I tried another app similar to this but I kept getting Checksum errors. Found this app and it worked flawlessly. Mind you I was using an Iphone 4s with the most recent OS and not the fastest internet connection. The download time was about and hour and a half which is not that bad for such a large file. I turned off the lock screen, kept it plugged in and did not use the phone during the download. Not one error occurred. Transferring to iTunes was a different story. To transfer a large file, turn on WiFi transfer while the phone is plugged into the computer USB port. Took a while but it worked.
If you need a dependable, stable app to transfer large files, this is it! And it also has Dropbox support.
Love This App
I am a teacher, & I use Files to keep important documents in my phone for easy access! I keep calendars, PowerPoint presentations, syllabi, etc. I can save documents from email, & I can share documents that I have saved. You can set up folders to organize your files, just as you would on a computer. This app helps make my phone a mini computer. 😊
I tell my students & fellow instructors about it every semester!
My go-to file manager.
I've used this app for a long time, and I prefer it over any other file manager. Not only does it have a huge range of file support, it is very flexible with its 'Open In...' function. Cross-app compatibility has been my best friend ever since I first tried it, and the full version is definitely worth a buy! Plus, it's only $4.99 for all of its features.