‘The emulation here of actual photographic film may be the best around, even compared to stalwarts like Hipstamatic and VSCO’– PC Magazine
Filmborn: Better Photos. Less Time.
● Film live-preview
Compose and expose your photos while previewing your subject with a film-preset applied. This feature is on by default and will help you take the perfect shot as soon as the shutter clicks.
● Gesture-based white balance and exposure
Slide your thumb up/down to adjust exposure and left/right to set the white balance. These two key features will allow you to achieve a correctly exposed photo with perfect skin tones at the moment of capture. Do this with film live-preview turned on to accomplish what we call a 'zero-click edit.'
● True-to-Film Presets
Mastin Labs’ proprietary color science makes it so no other app can match film as accurately as Filmborn. We perform intensive side-by-side comparisons between actual film scans from a Fuji Frontier Scanner, and identical digital images shot with the iPhone, to give your iPhone photos the elegant and timeless look of real film.
● Highlight clipping
Preserve details in your highlights by using our highlight clipping tool. That sky is not white, that sheet of paper is not blank, and your friend does have individual teeth. Turning on this camera tool will allow you to see in real-time where your whites/highlights are being blown out and replaced by pure white. Slide your thumb down on the screen to lower exposure and bring detail back into the highlights.
● Custom Camera kits
Personalize Filmborn with up to three custom cameras, each configured for your specific uses, such as a street or portrait photography. From the camera configuration panel, select a viewfinder, virtual lens, and film-preset. To save, press and hold on a kit button. Tap the small triangle in the bottom left to access and switch between your camera kits at a moment's notice. No need for a lens case and fanny pack, you can switch between 3 specialized cameras with just a tap.
All-or-nothing contrast sliders don't work so we gave you total control of tones. Filmborn's Custom Curves is the photo editing tool you didn't know you needed. This powerful darkroom feature gives you independent power of shadows, mid tones, and highlights in your photos, allowing maximum creative control.
● Last Photo Review
Preview the previous photo you took without leaving the camera. Press and hold your thumb on the library icon in the bottom right of the camera. The last picture you took will pop up. To exit, release your thumb from the screen.
Join our Filmborn Community on Facebook for even more photography content and education.
Share your questions or suggestions by contacting us from the settings panel of Filmborn.
Here is a list of everything new and improved in this update.
• Three all-new film-preset packs; Portra Pushed, Fujicolor Pushed, and Kodak Everyday Original. Purchase these from the in-app store, accessible from the presets panel or from the photo library
• All current tools are unlocked and now free with the purchase of Filmborn
• Redesigned in-app store
• All-new onboarding experience
• Updated app manual, accessible from the settings panel, via the apps photo library
• Lens toggle for dual-camera iPhones accessible directly in Camera view
• Improvements to responsiveness and performance
• Updated all film-presets
• iOS 12 compatibility
• iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR compatibility
• iPhone X telephoto lens is now properly recognized as a 52mm lens
• Haptic feedback for tool buttons in Camera view
• UI optimization
• App size optimization
• Resolved several issues reported by users
Ratings and Reviews
Give your pictures a wonderful, stylish look.
I have to admit my first reaction was quite negative as i couldn’t find out how to edit existing photos — all settled and figures out now, applying the film filter gives very very close feeling of film, and i mean not just the colors but the grain contrast etc. Good job, i’ll try later on the film presets for PC
Freezes when opening photo library on 7+
I bought the film upgrades and unfortunately the new update has severely broken this app when trying to import a photo from library. Hoping the developers will fix this ASAP.
- Mastin Labs Inc.
- 225.5 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Mastin Labs Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Curves Tool $1.99
- Additional Custom Kits $0.99
- Kodak® Everyday Original $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.