Redesigned from the ground up, Final Cut Pro combines revolutionary video editing with powerful media organization and incredible performance to let you create at the speed of thought.
Revolutionary Video Editing
• The Magnetic Timeline uses advanced metadata for faster, easier editing
• Enhanced Timeline Index lets you drag and drop audio roles to rearrange the layout of your timeline
• Use Clip Connections to attach B-roll, sound effects, and music to the timeline
• Reduce clutter by grouping clips into a Compound Clip
• Cycle through different shots, graphics, or effects at one place in the timeline with Auditions
• Edit multicamera projects with automatic syncing based on audio waveforms and support for up to 64 camera angles
• Import and edit 360° equirectangular video in a wide range of formats and frame sizes
• Create, edit, and deliver closed captions from within Final Cut Pro
• Extend the capabilities of Final Cut Pro with third-party workflow extensions that open within the Final Cut Pro interface
Powerful Media Organization
• Organize your work within libraries for efficient media management and collaboration
• Content Auto-Analysis captures camera metadata and analyzes shots in the background
• Create and apply custom keywords or favorites on the fly as you select clip ranges
• Smart Collections dynamically organize content for you to quickly find any shot in a few clicks
• Final Cut Pro uses all the GPUs in your Mac for superior real-time playback performance and fast background rendering
• 64-bit architecture uses all the RAM in your system for larger projects and richer effects
• Background processing lets you keep working without interruption
• Work natively with a broad range of formats including ProRes, RED, XAVC, AVCHD, H.264, HEVC from DSLRs, and more
Compelling, Customizable Effects
• Beautifully animated, easily customizable 2D and 3D titles
• Change the look of titles, transitions, and effects using intuitive controls
• Choose from an extensive ecosystem of third-party FxPlug plug-ins with custom interfaces
Integrated Audio Editing
• Assign roles — including dialogue, music, effects, and custom choices — during import to easily track and organize your project
• Expand and edit multichannel audio files directly in the timeline
• Let Final Cut Pro repair audio problems such as hum, excessive background noise, and more
• Sync DSLR video with separate audio in a single step with instant audio waveform matching
Intuitive Color Grading
• Import, edit, and deliver video in standard color spaces, or in wide Rec. 2020 color space
• Improve the look of any clip with one-click Balance Color
• Manipulate color, saturation, and exposure with the Color Board
• Powerful color wheels and curves for precise adjustments with keying and masks
One-Step, Optimized Output
• Incredibly fast export for playback on Apple devices and upload to websites such as Vimeo and YouTube
• Use themed menus to author and burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc
• Export audio stems and multiple versions of a finished video using roles metadata
• Import and export XML for third-party workflows like color grading and sound mixing
System Requirements: macOS 10.13.6 or later, 4GB of RAM (8GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing), OpenCL-capable GPU graphics card or Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later, 256MB of VRAM (1GB recommended for 4K editing, 3D titles, and 360° video editing), 3.8GB of available disk space.
Some features require Internet access; fees may apply. Blu-ray recorder required for burning Blu-ray discs. Video output to VR headset requires Mac computer with discrete graphics running macOS High Sierra. 27-inch iMac with Radeon Pro 580 graphics recommended. HEVC and HEIF support require macOS High Sierra.
• Improves performance when generating waveforms for clips with no audio channels
• Improves stability when sending a project to Compressor using the keyboard shortcut Shift-Command-E
• Improves stability when pasting Arabic or Hebrew text into a title
• Improves stability when switching tabs in the Timeline Index
Introduced in Version 10.4.4
• Extend the capabilities of Final Cut Pro with third-party extensions that open directly within the app interface
• Drag and drop clips between the extension window, browser, and timeline
• Connect to existing third-party accounts to access projects, download media, and purchase content
• Deep integration allows extensions to control timeline playback, navigation, clip markers, and more
• Workflow extensions include tools for collaboration (Frame.io), stock media (Shutterstock), and asset management (CatDV)
• Export and transcode multiple clips in the browser — with or without a camera LUT — for fast turnaround of dailies and other reviews
• Select and export multiple projects
• Combine batch sharing with bundles to encode multiple files to multiple formats in one step
• Monitor export progress in the background tasks window
Video noise reduction
• Apply the high-quality, drag-and-drop noise reduction effect to reduce grain and video noise
• Use simple controls to quickly adjust the look and amount of noise reduction
• Easily change processing order by dragging the noise reduction effect in the inspector
• The viewer shows the noise reduction effect when paused and disables the effect when skimming for optimal performance
• Apply 360° noise reduction to 360° video clips while preserving a flawless seam
• View project and source timecode in one or more floating timecode windows
• Resize the timecode window and drag any one to a second screen
• Choose to display clip names and role names
• Color coding in the timecode window matches the colors of roles in the timeline
• Open the Comparison Viewer to reference other frames for consistent color grading across your project
• Quickly select the previous or next clip in the timeline as your reference frame
• Save any image to the frame browser to reference it later in the Comparison Viewer
• Select the Tiny Planet mapping option when adding 360º video to a non-360° project to create interesting spherical looks
• Use the roll and tilt parameters to wrap your tiny planet effect into an infinite cylinder
• Adjust the pan parameter to move your subject horizontally within the tiny planet
• Animate the field of view to transition from a close up to a satellite view flying high above your footage
• Give 360° titles and generators a powerfully warped look by applying the Tiny Planet mapping option
Other new features
• View, edit, and deliver closed captions in the SRT format, which is used by a wide range of websites including Facebook
• Choose to burn closed captions into your video to ensure they appear at all times during playback
• When dragging in the timeline to select a secondary storyline, you can now select individual clips or the entire secondary storyline
• Instantly turn any photo or video into a comic book illustration using Comic filter then refine the comic book look with simple controls to adjust ink edges, fill, and smoothness
Ratings and Reviews
Review from a recent Premiere Pro Convert!
I have used Adobe Premiere Pro for the longest time when I need to do the TV commercials for the company I work for. We got so tired or paying the monthly fee (including fee hikes all the time) that we decided to look for another program. I wanted something that was on the same level as Premiere Pro (or better), but I also wanted it to be a little easier to use. Premiere Pro is such a hard program to get used to. The learning curve is extremely unforgiving, so when we decided on Final Cut Pro I wasn’t really thrilled, I had visions of learning Premiere Pro.
Let me tell you… not only does this program have all the features i’m used to from Adobe, it was actually fun learning how to use it! I like the face that Final Cut is very straight forward, Adobe had menu’s upon menu’s of junk everywhere. Apple made this program very clean user friendly. With just the function alone, I feel that it has cut my editing time by a lot. I don’t know why I never gave it a shot before! There aren’t any real downsides that I can think of yet, I’m sure I’ll come across something that is annoying. Mostly I just need to watch some videos and read information on how to use this program so I can learn all the ins and outs.
If you are looking for a program that is not only easy enough for a novice to use but something powerful for a professional also than look no further!
Don’t beleive all the negativity, a remarkable NLE
When the revamped Final Cut Pro X first dropped, it upset many longtime users. There were legitimate issues at the time, with many features missing and an entirely new program to learn for editors that knew FCP like the back of their hands. Add to this the fact that Apple handled the update inelegantly, and it was quite the firestorm. However, that’s not Final Cut Pro X today.
Today Final Cut Pro X is an outstanding NLE. I think it’s the best in the business. When it comes to Final Cut, and Apple in general, there is a lot of schadenfreude out there. It can be hard to filter out the legitimate complaints. Try FCPX and see for yourself that it is far, far from “iMovie for prosumers”. It’s a great program for prosumers who want more than iMovie can offer, no doubt, but it’s also a superb tool for pros. Just ask the many that rely on it daily to edit television and film projects.
BTW: When you see a review that says “basically iMovie”, “very limited functionality”, or “not for professionals”, you can trust the reivewer either doesn’t know how to use the product (likely) or has an agenda in favor of Adobe (also likely). Given the number of commercials, documentaries, and feature films that have been edited using FCPX in just the last few months, it’s safe to say it’s neither iMovie or very limited. Just check with some of Hollywood’s best filmmakers to see if it’s “not for pros”.
A New Powerhouse
Seven years ago I left Final Cut Pro as my preferred editing suite, as many editors did at the time, for Adobe Premiere. I recently revisited Final Cut Pro X when I heard great things about their 10.4 update and….wow! I am honestly speechless at the vast amount of improvements made to this software. The developers really have done a fantastic job with this latest version of FCPX and I am blown away at how much more efficient and optimized the editing process has become, especially when compared to Premiere.
I went ahead and jumped into this software after a few short tutorials and found myself saving about an hour of time when compared to a similar video I recently edited in Premiere and this was after just getting started! Further, the export time was a little more than twice as fast as Premiere! I could go on and on here (I may make a video about this) but I am intrigued and exited for the future of my editing process. I’m not ready to jump ship from Premiere just yet but I am definitely making both Premiere and Final Cut Pro a part of my workflow now.
HUGE thanks to the developers for making Final Cut Pro X 10.4 easy to navigate, fresh and exciting, streamlined, professional and making the combined performance of FCP and Macs a powerhouse of a editing workstation!
- Apple Inc.
- 3 GB
- macOS 10.13.6 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.