FineReader OCR Pro
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Easily turn documents of virtually any origin into information you can edit, quote, archive, search or share! ABBYY FineReader Pro complements the hassle-free efficiency of your computer by transforming paper documents, PDFs and digital photos of text into editable and searchable files. Say goodbye to time-consuming retyping and reformatting of documents – FineReader’s unmatched text recognition accuracy, language coverage and conversion features retain your original’s text, layout and formatting. It’s OCR the easy way – just as it should be!
With just a few clicks you can:
- Update documents with text corrections, date changes, modified conditions, links to other documents and more
- Instantly pull quotes from text and extract data
- Create searchable PDF files for archiving and sharing
- Make documents accessible for text-to-voice and more
KEY PRODUCTIVITY FEATURES:
- Scans and converts documents and images into a wide variety of popular electronic formats including: DOCX, ODT, RTF, XSLX, PDF and PDF/A, PPTX, HTML, EPUB and FB2
- Automates conversion tasks, processes batches of documents, and provides the ability to schedule OCR processing with the help of newly added Automator actions and AppleScript commands support;
- Accurately reconstructs document structure, layout and formatting across multiple pages – including headers/footers, footnotes, table of contents, page numbering, captions, etc.
- Creates editable, searchable and secure PDFs that are perfect for archiving and sharing
- Creates e-books in EPUB and FB2 formats for tablets and portable readers
- Performs image and photo pre-processing using ABBYY’s Advanced Digital Camera OCR technology
- Applies advanced OCR features to complex conversion tasks
YOUR ADVANTAGES WITH ABBYY OCR TECHNOLOGY INCLUDE:
- Professional OCR results with up to 99.8% character recognition accuracy
- Widest language support in the industry: 189 recognition languages (including Asian languages) in any combination of languages
- Multi-channel document input enables you to scan paper documents for processing or convert scanned images, PDFs and digital photos of text
- User-friendly interface with pre-defined Quick Tasks makes using FineReader easy and intuitive and provides Section 508 compliancy
* According to internal ABBYY testing. Accuracy and formatting results can vary depending on factors such as document quality and scanner settings.
What's New in Version 12.1.4
- Supported OS X 10.11 El Capitan;
- Added new interface language - Danish;
- Some more bug fixing and improvements.
We strive to make our application better and more convenient with each update. If you have suggestions for improvements or faced any issues working with the application, please send us your feedback via “FineReader” > “Provide FineReader feedback" option of the product menu.
REVISED: Message to ABBYY Marketing and Product Development Managers
This is an update to my 2014 Review. My hat is off to the ABBYY Marketing and Product Development because they did add AppleScript hooks to the product, which means their first-class OCR engine and conversion utility are more ameniable to inclusion in workflows! That has moved my rating from a ‘1’ to a ‘5'
2014 Review Follows
There is no question the OCR engine and conversion utilitiy are top notch. But this product is purposefully hobbled by the utter lack of AppleScript or Automator hooks to be useful in automated workflow where the addition of a scanned document to a MacOSX Folder can trigger FineReader OCR Pro run a conversion. Instead, ALL document OCR scans from pre-existing sources require either a drag and drop on FIneReader OCR Pro, or you have to use “File->Open” dialogs.
Bottom line : FineReader OCR Pro is a first class OCR engine and yet, worst of class for workflow inclusion due to ABBYY marketing & product management decisions to purposefully hobble this product’s support for AppleScript and Automator.
I find FineReader Pro significantly more accurate than other OCR applications, especially with less-than-optimum third party scans and italic type. Wish list: A user-definable dictionary would make it even more accurate.
I use both PCs and Macs at work. Love Omnipage on the PC side, but struggle with Fine Reader on the Mac side. Surely a better apple based product can be produced.
Until then we are stuck with this product.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 09, 2015
- Version: 12.1.4
- Size: 607 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Seller: ABBYY USA Software House Inc
- © ABBYY Production LLC, 2013
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor